Author Topic: Trying to find CARLTON GEORGE LAWFORD, Jamaica  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Cooliekies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find CARLTON GEORGE LAWFORD, Jamaica
« on: Sunday 11 October 15 23:22 BST (UK) »
Having trouble finding history of on my grandfather charlton Lawford. He's originally from Jamaica, St. Katerines. He was born in the in the 1930's and died in the 1990's. He was based in Manchester in the 1960's and had 3 children 2 girls and 1 boy. I'm trying to find out his parents names and my aim to to go further down the line and up the line. He also has children in Huddersfield that were born in the 1960's also. He also family within the USA and Jamaica and I would love to find them for family tree.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find CARLTON GEORGE LAWFORD, Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 October 15 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

If he was your grandfather - you will know your grandmothers name and maiden name.  Is she still alive?  If so - please do not post her details here.

Did they marry in England or in Jamaica as there is no marriage listed for him in England/Wales?

Where did he die as there is no death registration for that name?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Cooliekies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 October 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
No I don't know my grandfathers dads name as my grandad died not long after I was born and he didn't marry so there won't be any marriage certificate. He died In Jamaica.

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 15 23:35 BST (UK) »
hello coolikies

you appear to have some information on your grandfathers children who would be your aunts and uncles unless you are third generation which would make them your cousins.

are you one of the sixties children or the child of one of them?

depending on which of the above is relevant (your post is a bit confusing) your birth certificate may indicate your father's (or grandfathers) name but certainly your mothers or grandmother's (maiden) name.

once you sort out where you belong post any information on deceased relatives or check out familysearch.org where you will find records relating to Jamaica, you may also be looking for Charles Lawford as opposed to Charlton (W.I. friends of mine tended to change their name or be given similar sounding nicknames)

tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 15 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think Cooliekes was born in the 1990's so will be a child of one of those born in the 1960's who all appear to have been illegitimate.

He was born in the in the 1930's and died in the 1990's

as my grandad died not long after I was born

His own birth cert will not help as it is his grandfather he is researching.

As his grandparents didn't marry - he won't have the name of his great grandfather from a marriage cert

Copies of the birth certs of the 1960's children won't be of any help either in tracing Charlton's ancestry.    If he is named on them - the most additional info you would get would be his occupation.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Cooliekies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to find my grandfather's details 'Carlton Lawford' so I can get his birth certificate and find out who his parents could have been.  Born in Jamaica, St Katherine's between 1937-1942 of Birth.  He moved to England, Manchester between 1955-1960, as he had a daughter and son in 1961 (5 months apart) from the same spouse 'E.C.'*.  He later on in life seperated and lived in Huddersfield around 1965, which he then married a woman named CMM* and had other children.  He later on in life moved back to Jamaica where he died I believe around 1996

Names removed , living ?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 September 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to find my grandfather's details 'Carlton Lawford' so I can get his birth certificate and find out who his parents could have been.  Born in Jamaica, St Katherine's between 1937-1942 of Birth.  He moved to England, Manchester between 1955-1960, as he had a daughter and son in 1961 (5 months apart) from the same spouse 'E.C.'*.  He later on in life seperated and lived in Huddersfield around 1965, which he then married a woman named CMM* and had other children.  He later on in life moved back to Jamaica where he died I believe around 1996

No need to start a new topic- here's your earlier one-
Threads merged.

* names removed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 September 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
The key new bit of information is that there was a marriage.  Your first step should be to order the marriage certificate as it can be expected to name Carlton’s father.  It may also give Carlton’s age, but it may alternatively just say that he was over 21.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 September 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
Two live births five months apart of the same mother doesn’t sound right - you may want to recheck that.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)