Author Topic: Fjelbacka , sweden baptisms  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Fjelbacka , sweden baptisms
« on: Monday 12 October 15 15:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the baptism of my husbands 3x great grandfather Oliver Anderson. He was born, we believe in Fyelbacka in 1845. His mother was Johanna Christian and his father was Alexander Anderson,  a sea Captain. I can't find anyinformation on Alexander or Johanna on any census apart from that on Olivers marriage cert. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fjelbacka , sweden baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jax49

Do you have any dates when Oliver left Sweden.
Which country did he get married in?
Also how do you know he was born in Fyelbacka, was it on his marriage certificate.

Ian

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

Oliver married twice in Scotland.  He married sisters, as it was not allowed he slightly altered the details on the second certificate.

Like his father Oliver was a master mariner. In the Lloyds register index Oliver is listed as being born in fjellbacka. From only one census that i found it says he was born in Sweden (British Subject)I cannot find any reference to Alexander on any census.

I would love to know about Johanna Christian as well.

Thanks again.
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:11 BST (UK) »

I would love to know about Johanna Christian as well.

Does Johanna's surname say Christian as it is a little peculiar?
Also which census is Oliver on?

Ian

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just checked the marriage record again and it  looks like Christian.

Oliver is in the 1881 census. He was on the Strathyne a vessel he had a few''problems' with. Oliver died in Sierra Leone in 1891 he had been demoted to 1st mate as a consequence of said problem.

Thanks Ian.

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
Should of mentioned his place of birth was also on his Masters Certificate.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

When did he get married and were his parents recorded as deceased?

Ian

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
Ive just rechecked the certs and i don't think Johanna was his mothers name i think that one was a fib not correct as the family believed. Both parents are alive on both certs. He married 1871 then 1882 in Glasgow. On the other certmother was Joan Charles.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 October 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hmmm. Problems I'm afraid. The place he was born was Fjällbacka Parish north of Gothenburg. Fjällbacka became a parish in 1882 so there will be no records for him there. The parish that he was most probably born in was Kville Parish which unfortunately all the parish records before 1860 perished in a fire in 1904.

I have found a record of a sailor O. Alexandersson born in Kville in 1849. His name may have been Olof Alexandersson here in Sweden..... a possibility perhaps.

This won't be easy I'm afraid.

Ian