Author Topic: Duncan Elliott Alves and wife Tunbridge Wells  (Read 7613 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan Elliott Alves and wife Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 16:52 BST (UK) »
According to Probate Index entry, he was a bachelor when he died in 1870 in Uxbridge
No Will. Letters of Administration to Magdalen Alves spinster sister
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
There are loads of Alves in the Probate Index - dying all over the world!

Hazel Olive dies 22 March 1955. Leaves a Will. Executor is Dorothea Maria Sims solicitor.

I guess a copy of her Will would help confirm there were or weren't children.  They did seem to go all over the world, so absence of a birth reg in England and Wales might not be conclusive that there were no children.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 17:07 BST (UK) »

Hazel Olive dies 22 March 1955. Leaves a Will. Executor is Dorothea Maria Sims solicitor.

I guess a copy of her Will would help confirm there were or weren't children.  They did seem to go all over the world, so absence of a birth reg in England and Wales might not be conclusive that there were no children.

The document I mentioned in reply 14 says that there were no children . It was dated 1943 so after Duncan's death. ( I tried to attach but the file is too large )
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
OK - that's sorted then.

Will might (or might not!) lead to wider family (nephews, nieces etc) if OP was interested.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 18:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your fabulous input. With it and further research by me I now have all the information I need about both Duncan Alves and his family and his wife and her family.

Just one item I would like to get to complete everything for the Alves family namely details of the move of the Alves family from Australia to England. We know from the 1901 census in London that John Alves, his wife and two children Duncan and Mabel were living as guest at a hotel. I could not find a 1891 census for them in England and so presumably they were still living in Australia in 1891.

Also want to know details of Duncan Alves wife Hazel Olive Wilson about how she came to meet Duncan or more importantly when she emigrated from Canada to England. She was living with parents and two sisters at the time of the 1901 Canada Census and her marriage was Aug 1,1911 in London so we are looking for her /her family moving sometime between 1901 and 1911.

I am very impressed with your response to my inquiry. Some great work by all of you.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 08:16 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to spot the family on an incoming list but I think I've found them on the index of lists of outgoing passengers from Victoria :

Mr J Alves 45
Mrs J Alves 40
Mr D Elliott Alves 30
Miss Alves 24
all travelling on the Oriental to London in Feb 1899.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gag/ 

It might now be possible to find them incoming - no time just now, will try later.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
Yes that is the right family sailing from Victoria,Australia to London. They were John Alves; his wife Sarah; son Duncan Elliott , and daughter Mabel Amanda. It is interesting to note that the ages of Duncan and Mabel are very close to those given in other records but those for John and his wife are out by about 20 years. Based on death records John was born 1834 not 1854 and Sarah 1835 not 1859.

I see from your source that the family made another trip from Victoria to London Sept 1903 on the Himalaya . They were given as Mr Alves (John Alves, age 46 born 1857; Mrs Alves (Sara) born 1863 and their son Duncan age 27 born 1876. Once again Duncan's age is close but the age of John and his wife are close to the 1899 passenger record but not close their ages from the death record.

The 1901 London census gave John born 1836 and his wife Sarah in 1841.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
There are several possibilities about the ages on the passenger lists ;

They were written down incorrectly

They were transcribed incorrectly

There is another couple called Mr and Mrs J Elves who just happen to be travelling in 1899

I think the last is unlikely unless there is another family member called John , an older brother perhaps that we haven't come across yet.

In any event I still can't find the corresponding arrival details for their journey.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
The report of the 1910 death of Mrs John Alves in the Kent & Sussex Courier states that she had been living in Tunbridge Wells for about 6 years , which might fit with the 1903 journey. Other reports mention her only son Duncan and only daughter Mabel which made me wonder about the two children born in Australia. I've found the daughter , Caroline , who was born in 1861. She died in 1864 in New Zealand: 1864/8077 Caroline Alves 3 yrs. I haven't found anything about the son , William Davidson Alves.

Edit : William Davidson Alves coal company manager George Street , Dunedin , NZ 1881 electoral roll.