Author Topic: James Bigg - Philadelphia.  (Read 595 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
James Bigg - Philadelphia.
« on: Tuesday 13 October 15 16:00 BST (UK) »
In 1894 James Bigg and his wife Julia, with their children Martha and Julia, sailed to New York on the "Berlin" from Southampton, arriving 22nd October destined for Philadelphia.  They are listed as arriving on the Ellis Island website.  On 21st August 1895 Julia, Martha and Julia returned to England on the SS "Ohio", arriving in Liverpool.  I cannot find James returning on any passenger lists, but he did because the next information I have is the 1901 Census when he is again back in his original home in Strood, Kent with his wife Julia.

I am trying to account for the lost time between him arriving in New York in 1894 and his return to England some time between then and 1901.  Could anyone help please?

Thanks.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Bigg - Philadelphia.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
I wonder if he was the James Beggs  age 55 who departed New York on the Etruria and arrived on 8 June 1897 at Liverpool??  He was travelling alone and occupation listed as gent?

Kay

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Bigg - Philadelphia.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think this could be him, as the age fits and the surname is often misspelt.  I wouldn't describe him as a "gent" though ....!

Before the family went to the U.S.A., they had been to Brazil - I think to work on the new coffee plantations.  The family left Liverpool on 4th February 1891 (also with their son Amos and other daughter Mary).  On 5th September 1891 they returned to Southampton, but James was not with them and Mary had apparently died in Brazil.  I can't find him returning but he was around because he went out to New York in 1894.

I am interested to know what the family were doing in the U.S.A. and if they did get to Philadelphia, and what James was doing in the U.S.A. on his own?

Thanks very much for your help.

Honeybun

Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire