Author Topic: Clothier  (Read 4118 times)

Offline bkr188

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clothier
« on: Wednesday 14 October 15 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Giles Bishop, born about 1565 in Sutton Valence had an occupation as a "Clothier", as was most of his family for several generations.  Can anyone tell me what this occupation might have been?  I have assumed it could be someone who either made clothes, was a clothes merchant or a general worker in the cloth industry.  These have been definitions I have found from various dictionaries. 

Was there a definite type of clothing industry in Sutton Valence, and also in Hunton where he moved to in the late 1590's?   Thank you, bkr
Kent: Plane/Playne/Plain, Brakefield, Oliver, Wells, Mainwaring/Manwaring, Martin, Bishop, Mills, Richardson, Wenman, Holdstock
Bethnall Green: Oliver
London:  Smith,  Nickolay, Blackmore.
Canada: Terry
Switzerland: Kneuss, Bergernat
Goudhurst: Martin
Tipperary Ireland: Woods, Fisher,
County Clare Ireland: Maloney, Whalan, Kilmartin

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clothier
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 08:05 BST (UK) »
Most commonly "clothier" refers to a tailor.

Could also refer to a Cloth Merchant, or someone owning/running a clothing store.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothier
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have Clothiers in my family tree too. The Gybbon (Gibbon) family of Benenden Kent in around the 1500 to 1600s.

As far I can tell they were merchants.

Here is some information about the clothiers of Benenden.

http://www.benenden.history.pollardweb.com/ires/64654/PDF/ClothandReligion-QueenElizabethatHemsted.pdf

Regards,

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline bkr188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 15 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. Why did I not think of Wikipedia!  That has put me on a new trajectory along with the Benenden article. Now, I have found another Gyles which looks interesting. The beneden article indicated a well organised industry in the area. Do you know of any documents which would list the names of the merchant clothiers? This family seemed to have made enough money to buy land and move themselves into greater prominence during this era.
Cheers
bkr
Kent: Plane/Playne/Plain, Brakefield, Oliver, Wells, Mainwaring/Manwaring, Martin, Bishop, Mills, Richardson, Wenman, Holdstock

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 15 08:47 BST (UK) »
I too have clothiers in my family of Lansdells in the Cranbrook. Rolvenden area.One of them is said to have been a maker of ribbons and tape but ai think others made material as well as being tailors.
I think weavers came over Flanders and set up trade which expanded.I wonder if there were also lots of sheep on the Marshes in the 1400s.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline bkr188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 November 15 08:01 GMT (UK) »
I found some documents which listed weavers as a specific occupation, as were tailors. Might just leave them as clothiers and speculate as to what they actually did.  As for the sheep, the breed now named Romney were known as Romney Marsh or Kent sheep. Not sure how long the breed has been going though.  Their wool is good for home spinning apparently. Do you know if the area around Hunton, Benenden, Sutton Valence is reclaimed land and would have been used for growing sheep?
bkr

Offline David Boulding

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 February 16 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Benenden and Sutton Valence aren't on the Romney Marsh they're both a good way inland and the land isn't flat.

Romney sheep are one of the most ancient British sheep breeds (I read somewhere recently) because they've done DNA test to discover their origins.

Clothiers built the very first "factories" (the cloth halls) where spinsters (ladies that made cloth at home) were invited to large premises to work in conjunction with other spinsters (the first time this happened for making things). I live next door to a Cloth Hall in my Kent village. It's a long building, quite narrow, with big windows to permit the entry of lots of light.

I found some documents which listed weavers as a specific occupation, as were tailors. Might just leave them as clothiers and speculate as to what they actually did.  As for the sheep, the breed now named Romney were known as Romney Marsh or Kent sheep. Not sure how long the breed has been going though.  Their wool is good for home spinning apparently. Do you know if the area around Hunton, Benenden, Sutton Valence is reclaimed land and would have been used for growing sheep?
bkr
Boulding Boulden Bollyng (all - mostly Kent)
Finch (Kent - Henry & Elizabeth (Fossett)  Finch m1687  London)
Foord (Kent - Aldington, Stanford area)
Philpot (Kent - Alexander Philpot died 1601 Ashford)
Waggon/Waghorn (Kent pre 1715)
Rose (Kent)

Offline Cali369

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 October 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Just to add - I have some in mine too.

Hennekers around Charing/Pluckley/Leeds area in the 1600's
So far one Clothier and several Cordwainers

Makes a change from centuries of Ag Labs!
Tassell - Kent (Headcorn)
Thorpe - Kent (Hadlow)
Saxby - Kent (Brenchley)
Law - Kent (Shaddoxhurst)
Milgate - Kent
Boughton - Kent (Sittingbourne/Newnham/Rodmersham)
Paget - London/Essex
Tannett - London
Thorpe - London/Kent
Watson - Cumbria

Offline PtE

• RootsChat Member
  • In knowledge lies wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 October 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I recently read an article about the demise of the Wealden broadcloth industry which was centred around Cranbrook and neighbouring villages, but I can't find it at the moment so will post later when I do find it though I think it may have been on the KAS site. Some of my ancestors were Clothiers, and basically the story goes that certain early entrepreneurs with a bit of cash, employed villagers to spin and weave Wealden broadcloth which was very sought after for a while. This was around the 16th and early 17th century. Eventually though, for a number of reasons, the industry gradually went into decline. Some of the "Gentlemen" went to the wall, while other more astute people diversified into buying land and farming. They also started calling themselves gentleman farmers or yeomen instead of Clothiers.
Will post again when I find the article as you may want to read it yourselves.

PtE
Bellingham Kent
Hope Kent
Love Kent
Simmons Kent
Bridgland Kent
Beslee Kent
Patterson Kent
Knott Kent