Author Topic: The very intriguing George Fielding  (Read 1573 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
The very intriguing George Fielding
« on: Wednesday 14 October 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
This is the story of George Fielding born in Edzell, Forfarshire in 1788 to Alexander Fielding and Janet Henry or is it?

George's sister Margaret is my 3xs great grandmother and in a last ditch attempt to discover more about her parents I'm trying to follow through on her siblings to see if their stories offer any clues. What follows is about a man I found on the 1841 census living in Edinburgh. This story is now so convoluted I'm beginning to think I've entered into the land of fiction. I'll try and summarize....

In 1841 living at  33 College Wynd, Edinburgh is a Mrs Angus age 60 (furnished lodgings), Charlotte Smith age 30, dressmaker and George Fielding age 45, bookseller. Both Mrs Angus and George are showing born outside census county.

At the same time in the Seagate, Dundee there's an Ann Low age 65, a George Low age 7 and a David Fielding age 30, printer - they are all showing born Angus.

Ten years on and George Fielding is living at 10 West Bow, Edinburgh age 60, bookseller, born Forfarshire, he's still with Charlotte Smith  age 44 listed as a lodger with her occupation given as dressmaker mistress. Also with them is a 16 year old George Orr, grandson. I can't find Ann Low and I'm pretty sure David Fielding (still single and a printer) has decamped to England.

I found an 1809 August marriage in Brechin for a George Fielding and an Ann Lowe no clues on the OPR except they were both of the parish. There looks to be two children born to this couple a David Fielding who comes along very shortly after the marriage in late December of 1809 and a Maria born in August 1815. David was born in Brechin (I don't have his OPR) but it turned out Maria was born in Cannongate, Edinburgh. From that OPR Maria's father George Fielding is listed as a mason.

I thought the George with Ann Low in 41 and the one with George Fielding in 51 might be one in the same person. I was guessing he was the illegitimate son of Maria Fielding. On his marriage certificate he lists his parents as George Fielding (house painter) and Maria Orr then at his death it's George Fielding and Maria Fielding so I'm pretty convinced he was Maria's illegitimate son.

So, I now know George the bookseller was once a mason, married to Ann Low living in Angus if not Edzell and born about the right time to be the son of Alexander and Janet perhaps I had found Margaret's brother.

Knowing he had once been a mason  I googled 'George Fielding, mason, Slateford' (old name for Edzell) and found this!

http://genegenie-scotland.blogspot.fr/2013/06/george-fielding-slateford-brechin.html

Needless to say the next thing I did was find the original article to confirm the story.

So do I have the son of Alexander and Janet or have I just woven together a tale that makes it look that way? Maybe I've just really keen to have a relative who wore velveteen breeches!
Jen
PS I still have to follow through on this birth  ::)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYJS-LQZ
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: The very intriguing George Fielding
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 15 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Breakthrough! I think I've just found something that ties this together. According to the Friend's of Dundee Archives an Ann Low died of asthma in 1845 age 67, born Brechin...."wife of George Fielding, dealer in old books". I think maybe Maria the daughter also dies in Dundee in 1847, age 30, born Edinburgh.

http://www.fdca.org.uk/pdf%20files/HowffL04.pdf

Been working on this for months and now know the Alexander Fielding also living in Edinburgh in 1841 is George's brother as when Alexander's daughter dies she leaves a will which names her two cousins as benefactors. Those cousins are the daughters of the Henry Fielding mentioned here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716163.msg5598600#msg5598600

I have a bulging folder on these Fieldings (plus every Fielding on the 1841 Scottish census) but I am no further forward in finding out where Alexander Fillan/Fielding or Janet Henry the couple who married in Edzell in 1787 came from.
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The very intriguing George Fielding
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 16 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Wow!! Fascinating stuff and great detective work! Love it!
REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND
LEITCH
DUFFY