Author Topic: Annie/Hannie Bingel/Bingle  (Read 1291 times)

Offline desrae11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie/Hannie Bingel/Bingle
« on: Wednesday 14 October 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
Good morning:

My 3x ggranpa David Engel married Annie Bingel/Bingle. Engel is the descendant of 1824 German Morovian Missions in Elim.  I have Annie's estate papers.  Her parents are William and Mary Bingel nee Brown spelling according to death notice.  The story I am told is that Mary Browns parents are Irish born. Mary Brown apparently died in Ireland and her husband William came to SA with all his kids, settled in Hermanus.  He hired a nanny to take care of the children and he later married the nanny, possibly her lastname maybe be Plaatjies.  I Am currently searching all the websites ancestry.ca, e-family, 1820 British Settlers(where I see them), familysearch etc.

Everything is just to confusing and I am hoping someone on this forum recognizes the info and will contact me. 
Many thanks

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Annie/Hannie Bingel/Bingle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 15 08:45 BST (UK) »
I have managed to find this.  I think it could be of interest is the fact that the first child is Annie Engel!  I think that it is possibly her surname as she was a major at the time of his death.

Last Name:   Bingle
First Name:   William
Date of Birth:   1824
Place of Birth:   nr. Aylesbury, Bucks., England
Parents – Father:    William Bingle
Parents – Mother:   Annie
Name of Spouse:   Matilda
Marriage Date:
Marriage Place:
Date of Death:   24 Oct 1894 age 70
Place of Death:  Caledon, Cape
Notes:   DN 2588/1894.  Children:
Annie Engel
Thomas
Mary Drion
Ellen Bishop
William
Eliza Truss, all majors
Magdalena Jacoba 20
Johanna Margaret 19
Jane Elizabeth 18
Helena Wilhelmina Matilda 16
John David 14
Ida 11
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Here is Matilda's estate file details at the archives.  I have also found what appears to be quite a comprehensive family tree by googling Matilda Bingle+South Africa.  It shows that her surname could possibly be Platje, and that William was previously married to a Mary Ann Brown which ties up with your family lore.

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/2116                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 2654                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          BINGLE, MATILDA. ESTATE PAPERS.                                       
STARTING  19210000                                                             
ENDING    19210000
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline desrae11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 15 14:52 BST (UK) »
Nookie

Thank you for your reply.  I am coming up with the same info.  Mary Bingle nee Brown and her brother show up on the 1820 British Settlers.  If I have the right family her parents died at sea I guess on their way to SA. The family story is that she is Irish.  I am hoping to find that bit of info then I know I will have the right family.  There is a family tree on ancestry owned by a Platjes.  Will continue to dig.  Older posts on rootschat also indicate someone was searching this family.
Thanks ever so much.

Offline flori

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Just saw your post. David and Annie (Aka Hannie) are my great grand parents. Mystery re William Bingle. No trace in Aylesbury or surrounding Hamlets/Villages of his birth. Annie Engel born quite a few years before her siblings. I have copies of their baptism certificates except Annie. Mary Anne the mother had her last child Elisa in 1868. William married Matilda Platje in Oct. 1872. So I assume Mary died sometime between 1868 and 1872. Mary Anne cannot be the Mary Anne Brown who arrived aged 13 with father and brother with Sephton's party in 1820. She would have been 17 in 1824 when William was born and 61 in 1868 giving birth? So our Mary Anne remains a mystery? The only William Bingle who arrived as a settler was much later in the 18th century. I'm curious you mention an Irish connection, also in my childhood folklore. So there might be something in it.