Author Topic: Martin Jude (which pub was he the Innkeeper of) & looking for pics & info.?  (Read 8804 times)

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Jude (which pub was he the Innkeeper of) & looking for pics & info.?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 January 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

When I checked the William Prowting Roberts biography there wasn't much in it about Martin Jude.  Have spotted a reference to him in Dorothy Thompson's 'The Chartists:  Popular Politics in the Industrial Revolution':

"Martin Jude, leader of the miners in the north-east of England and an active Chartist, was earning his living as a innkeeper by the time the Chartist movement began.  Like many other trade unionists, he had little chance of employment at this trade. For men of this kind, the keeping of an alehouse could mean earning less money than they would have gained at their trade."

She goes on to give details of what another Chartist said about his own circumstances, and then says:

"The alehouse or the newsagent's shop provided a meeting-place between formal meetings, and also provided a filter through which strangers in a neighbourhood could gradually be introduced to the councils of the local Chartists.  Most towns had their well-known radical pubs and alehouses . . ."

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 January 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Drosybont, Thanks for that info.

Pure luck I found this as my email no longer works i.e. no notifications.

I need to do some more research on Martin!

I would like to find info. on him as a Miner.

He is/was always listed as having an occupation with Pubs.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 January 17 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Pleased you saw it, should have thought of sending you a pm to let you know I was posting.  Have been meaning to do it for a while, had time over the holidays.

You've probably seen it already, but just in case you haven't, the page on the Durham Mining Museum site about him has links to interesting newspaper articles:

http://www.dmm.org.uk/whoswho/j911.htm

If that doesn't work, it comes up if you google "durham miners martin jude".

The article at the bottom of the page on accidents to boys says he worked as a miner for 34 years.  would have started work aged 8 or thereabouts so around 1812, not sure what records there might be in that early period.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 January 17 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Drosybont,

Plenty for me to read through for sure & yes he would have been 8 yrs old, what a life  :(

Paid off in the end though as he was recognised by many for his perseverance for a better working life for others.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Bryan Rees

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Re Martin Jude

You might want to look in another source - Richard Fynes book The  Miners of Northumberland and Durham; a history of their social and political progress (SR Publishers, Wakefield). Many years ago I did some research on the North East Miners and Martin Jude was one of the most prominent in the struggle to organise the trade union. I recall that he was victimised by the coal,owners after the 1832 strike, and could not get work back in the mines, hence his move to inn-keeping.
In another post you mentioned Sarah Ann Jude and Thomas Sherwood Baugh - they were both witnesses at the wedding of my great grandfather, John Graham to Alice Richardson in 1885.
If you need more on Martin Jude I may still have my research notes

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan,

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Thanks for your info. on Martin (Book by Richard Fynes).

I welcome any new info.

How interesting that Sarah Ann & Thomas Sherwood were witnesses to your g g/parents marriage.

I wonder if they were related?

Sarah Ann was my g g/aunt, sister of my g g/father Henry Jude.

As you are new on the site you need to make another 2 posts to be able to use the PM (Private Message) option.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan,

I have had time to look at the info. you gave me through google books!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jgh/ 

Pg’s 5 (denoted with ‘v’), 37, 51, 53, 114, 118, 121, 122, 137, 141, 167, 169, 185 & 186.

Thanks for your interest but I'm also keen to know if there was a connection with your family regarding Sarah Ann Jude?

Annie

Offline ?? ????

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Jude family
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 July 18 19:51 BST (UK) »

Hello members of the Jude Family!

We have a Family Forum on Facebook and we’d like to make contact with our English cousins! We have DNA completed for this family as well!!! We have traced our line to the Northumberland area/Newcastle area!

Please join us! Our link;

https://m.facebook.com/groups/549251418544026

Cheers! - Hans

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 14 July 18 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Hans,

Welcome to Rootschat!

I will be honest, I'm a bit of a phobic with facebook unless I know for sure which sites I join.

Can you please give some info. with names/dates/places for your connections with Northumberland?

Where were your family born as I'm not back far enough with a paper trail (1740s) taking me outside England apart from some members of my direct Jude line who went to Ireland from Northumberland c1892 - 1894?

I may have earlier info. but unfortunately I recently lost a lot when my comp failed amidst a back-up i.e. the date I'm using is from an old back-up which may have been updated on my 'lost' info. although it will be retrievable.

Annie