Author Topic: Colcloughs of Goldenhill  (Read 2081 times)

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colcloughs of Goldenhill
« on: Thursday 15 October 15 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm currently researching my direct line of Colclough family of Goldenhill. I am interested in delving deeper into Colcloughs. I am aware of Anthony Colclough who served under Henry VIII and was awarded land in Co. Wexford, but I am interested in the Colcloughs who remained in Staffordshire. I have read somewhere that they owned a mill in Little Chell (approx 1500's), and there was a Manor House somewhere between Goldenhill and Tunstall. There are also the likes of Colclough Lane and Colclough Farm still in Goldenhill. They were obviously an influential family in the area and I am of course interested to see where/if my line fits into this somewhere. Has anyone done any research into the family or could point me in the right direction of any literature on the subject? Many thanks in advance,
Sarah

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Colcloughs of Goldenhill
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to contact anyone who has Colclough in their Surname Interests, in Your Tools, below?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
www.british-history.ac.uk

searched for "anthony colclough" (include "   " in search key). One hit mentions land/water mill at Little Chell/Cunstall

Offline garethgriffiths

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member Gwynedd Cheshire Family History Societies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
Yes I've done research into the Tunstall and Turnock family that lived at Colclough house after the colclough's left for Ireland. You may see some posts on rootschat for these.
Colclough House has been for sale, parts still are on the estate.  There's an estate plan digitised at Keele university, staffs. I had it digitised some five years back, maybe ten. Colclough lane is one of the oldest roads or lanes in the Tunstall area.
Check out a website called British history online and the Victoria county history of Staffordshire for more details, probably Ward, history of Stoke on Trent also. My sons best mate lived at Colclough house (Brearley family).  It was once owned by the historical Heathcote family and our ancestor Thomas Tunstall occupied it from him. Ps I live locally to goldenhill.
Gareth
GRIFFITHS - Llandudno/Eglwysbach/Glan Conwy/BetwsYCoed/Llanbeblig/Caernarvon
BLEYTHIN - Llanbeblig
EVANS - Eglwysbach
JONES - Conwy/Llanrwst/TalYBont/Rowen
KEMP - Middlesbrough/Southport/Ainderby Quernhow/Kilburn/Sutton/North Riding
BONNER - Middlesbrough/Walsall/Escombe/South Hylton/Westoning, SMITH
TAYLOR/ORTH - Middlesbrough/Southport
TURNOCK - StokeOnTrent Goldenhill, Odd Rode/Astbury, Cheshire
TUNSTALL/WILCOX/DOYLE/BOYLE - Stoke on Trent (Goldenhill)
HARP - Fenton
ROGERS/STANTON - Chester