Author Topic: URGENT - Demolition of Pier Lodge, Argent St, Grays, Essex  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
URGENT - Demolition of Pier Lodge, Argent St, Grays, Essex
« on: Thursday 15 October 15 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone - I recently posted a request to see if anyone had an old or current photo of Pier Lodge in Grays as I have been unlable to locate one. 

Sadly there have been no replies, so I phoned the nursery called Pier Lodge Day Nursery who use the building to see if they could email me a photo.  To my alarm the lady in charge told me that the children's nursery has now moved out of Pier Lodge and that it is boarded up and due for demoliton shortly, the land to be developed for apartments  :'(

This is terrible news!!!  I live abroad and cannot get to the UK any time soon, so was really hoping a very kind person might be able to nip to Grays and get a photo of the boarded up building before it is gone forever?????

Can anyone help?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Nina  :o

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: URGENT - Demolition of Pier Lodge, Argent St, Grays, Essex
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Nina

I tried google street view but it looks like the building was shrouded by trees.

I then did a google seach and found a link to the site developers

http://lppartnership.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Pier-Lodge-Grays-Essex-23.09.15.pdf

other than that, you could try the local library

https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/find-a-library/grays-library

or the local newspaper

http://www.thurrockgazette.co.uk/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi dawnsh - thanks for your input! 

I have already contacted LPP but not heard back from them. 

I also contacted the local history society and library etc some years ago but to no avail.  For some reason it seems it was not a well documented building - very strange.  I also own many books on the area and it does not feature at all in any of those.  Bizarre.

I have gone up and down the road on Google Streetview too, hoping to get a good glimpse but those trees are in the way! 

I'm hoping LPP will come up trumps - they should have some photos if they are developing the site, but that's if they actually get back to me. 

In the meantime, if anyone is every passing the building I would really appreciate a shot!!!

Many thanks, Nina

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 15 20:42 BST (UK) »
A search of the Thurrock planning website for the recent application http://regs.thurrock.gov.uk/online-applications/ returns one image that appears to be a view of the Lodge from a neighbouring household in support of their objection to the planning application.  Better than nothing....

Edit: There seems to be a recommended condition of planning so you could try the planning department;
Recommendation Building Record
"No development of any kind shall take place until the applicant has secured the implementation of a programme of historic building recording in accordance with a written scheme of investigation which has been submitted by the applicant, and approved by the planning authority."
Further recommendations:
A recognised professional team of industrial building recorders should undertake the work.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 15 21:28 BST (UK) »
In the UK every street/set of buildings has a postcode.  This narrows down any address to being in a specific place/street etc etc.  The postcode for this address is: RM17 6JE

You can use that in maps.

If you go to Bing Maps, they have aerial photographs.  Load up Bing Maps, type in the postcode and then select Aerial View. 

Here it is:  http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=RM17+6JE&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4

There are also some photos of the building on Google Images, one is from Panoramio http://www.panoramio.com/photo/121797572

Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Sc00p & StanleysChesterton for all your help! 

The photo of the neighbour's view of the side of Pier Lodge at least begins to give me some sort of idea of the scale and style of the building - although limited it is the first true glimpse I have obtained! 

All the planning applications will make interesting reading although in my opinion it would be unforgiveable to demolish an old building to make way for a modern monster (call me old fashioned). 

And it's VERY interesting to note that you found 'No development of any kind shall take place until the applicant has secured the implementation of a programme of historic building recording in accordance with a written scheme of investigation which has been submitted by the applicant, and approved by the planning authority.'  That means that at last the building will be recorded properly and I should be able to get a copy of that at some point!

I have zoomed in with Bing Maps - this seems to emphasize the fact that Pier Lodge's demise would have been inevitable one day as it already appears swamped by modern development looming large ...

Thank you both for your input - it's always appreciated - especially as you both went to a lot of bother to have a hunt for me.

Many thanks, Nina  ;D

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 October 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
What is the relationship between the pier and Pier Lodge? Was it the entrance to the Grays Thurrock wharf / pier? Is it the last remnant of a development of historical significance ?

Newspaper archive has a few references going back to 1867

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 October 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hello deebel - Pier Lodge was where Cole & Lecquire ran their business from - they took over the corn and seed merchants' business of Leonard W Landfield in about 1890 and worked their barges from Pier Wharf until about 1922 - I gather they had at least 6 barges.  Pier Wharf was just to the east of Grays Wharf and located directly south of Pier Lodge.  Pier Wharf was first used in 1841 (and had a 400 foot pier) and was originally developed so passengers could catch ferries at whatever the state of the tide and not have to transfer into smaller transfer boats for access.  Not exactly sure when it met its end, but according to an article I read, there were no more barges on the river at Grays after 1961.  Nina

Offline crystal123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 February 16 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone - I recently posted a request to see if anyone had an old or current photo of Pier Lodge in Grays as I have been unlable to locate one. 

Sadly there have been no replies, so I phoned the nursery called Pier Lodge Day Nursery who use the building to see if they could email me a photo.  To my alarm the lady in charge told me that the children's nursery has now moved out of Pier Lodge and that it is boarded up and due for demoliton shortly, the land to be developed for apartments  :'(

This is terrible news!!!  I live abroad and cannot get to the UK any time soon, so was really hoping a very kind person might be able to nip to Grays and get a photo of the boarded up building before it is gone forever?????

Can anyone help?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Nina  :o