Author Topic: URGENT - Demolition of Pier Lodge, Argent St, Grays, Essex  (Read 4711 times)

Offline crystal123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: URGENT - Demolition of Pier Lodge, Argent St, Grays, Essex
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 February 16 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I just found this website this AM and signed up immediately. I lived in Pier Lodge from 1943 to 1949 when we emigrated to Canada. My grandmother was Caroline Lecquire, she married Francis Fisher and my father Samuel Fisher inherited Pier Lodge. I remember a lot about the house. I was in England several years ago, but the nursery school people would not let me in to look around. I am going to have to look to see if I have a picture.

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 February 16 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  I think we may have been in touch some years ago but I misplaced your email when I changed accounts!  I will send you a PM (Personal Message) on this site ...

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 June 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I came across your posting a few months ago and have frequently walked down the pier lodge in the hope of getting a photo, unfortunately between trees, vegetation and the hording to keep everyone out it was impossible.  As a long time resident of Grays I can tell you that it has now been reduced to a pile of rubble, like most of our buildings with any character to  make way for more housing.

Anyway I've been thinking on the matter and we have a local museum that it might be worth contacting, they may be able to help you.

The email is thurrock.museum "at" thurrock.gov.uk

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 June 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Nic123 ... How sad, thanks for letting me know.  I did contact the architects recently to ask them if it was still standing or not and whether anyone had thought to remove any items of historical interest from the house prior to it being demolished (such as the box shutters, original sash windows, doors and stained glass panels), but they never got back to me.  I was going to post the question on here but you have beaten me to it and answered!  I think it is such a shame that all these wonderful buildings are constantly wiped away and replaced with vile modern flats etc.  I guess it boils down to money and greed.  Soon there will be very little of interest left anywhere to look at.  Nina

Offline Keith Harrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 July 17 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi I have today just seen your mail on Pier Lodge, i have some old photos of the Lodge. I was ready to go down to Argent Street to take photos when the demolition happened, but i went on a 10 day vacation and on my return it had already been demolished, and behind the original lodge wall were just two big piles of rubble all timber and other rubbish had been removed. Last year our Local Thurrock Heritage Officer Jonathan Catton passed away suddenly at 60, the knowledge he had of the Grays Beach and riverside area, Cole & Lequires/Pier Lodge, Goldsmiths Wharf, Bruce's Timber Wharf and Thos Ward Shipbreakers  was incredible, He was called Mr Thurrock he did show me an old poster from 1888 when Pier Lodge and 10 sailing Barges were sold by Auction, i am sure i took a photo of it, a friend of mine Mr J (*)Carter, who is in his 90s, had a newsagents just across the road from the lodge his dad Sam owned it, then J(*) took over until he retired in 1991, i will check to see if he has anyother photos and history of the lodge.     

Moderator comment: Names of living people removed in accordance with our 'no living people' policy.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 July 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith ... thanks for your message ... how interesting ... I would be very keen on seeing any photos of the lodge you might be able to dig up at some point, and any history your friend might be able to share! It is a shame I couldn't get to see it myself before it was torn down.  Nina