Author Topic: Little Budworth again  (Read 2182 times)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Little Budworth again
« on: Thursday 15 October 15 21:49 BST (UK) »
When I read the other Little Budworth thread I was very interested in what BumbleB said about people working at Oulton Hall.
My 5xggm was born in Lytham, Lancs. Her family and her grandparents are listed in the 1767 List of Recusants. Her grandparents,  Nicholas and Elizabeth Benson, worked for the Cliftons at Lytham Hall as did her aunt. I could not find where the Bensons came from.
Recently Ancestry had a free weekend and had added Lancashire QSPs. I found in 1783 an order 10th may (William Benson died on the 6th so they were quick off the mark) for the removal of Ann Benson widow Catherine, Timothy and Mary her children poor persons of Lytham to the township of Little Budworth and for settlement there.
Little Budworth overseers have a letter from Laytham 8d 23rd july, april to oct 1783 Sam'l Cartwright's bill for Bensons 11s paid these expenses back to Laytham 9s 4d etc.
I went to Mobberley (FHS Cheshire) and looked at the BTs and couldn't find any Bensons at all in the parish registers.
How did Ann Benson, or, presumably, her husband, gain a settlement in Little Budworth when he didn't gain one in 20 years of living at Lytham?
She didn't stay in Little Budworth. Timothy got a job at Cleobury Mortimer at Mawley Hall, while the girls and their mother joined their sisters in Rishton near Great Harwood. I have been struggling to think why Ann or William should have come from Little Budworth, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Little Budworth again
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
I notice the Cliftons of Lytham and the Blounts of Mawley were prominent Roman Catholics, maybe your be sons were also, and not baptised in an Anglican parish, but could still have come from little bud worth

Mike

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, everyone in the List of Recusants was Catholic. However, my ancestor and most of her siblings were recorded as being baptized at both the Anglican Church and the Catholic Chapel in Lytham, which is interesting. I have wondered if one parent was Anglican. The Cliftons varied between being Anglican and Catholic. If my Bensons were from Little Budworth I might not expect to find them in the baptisms but, even before the Hardwicke Act, there were Catholics marrying in the parish church because of the Poor Laws and they would definitely be buried Anglican because there was nowhere else to go. The eldest 2 children in the family of William Benson were born before arrival in Lytham. One of the children in Lytham was baptized Catholic with godparent Thomas Massey Stanley of Puddington Hall so my first thought was that the Bensons worked at Puddington or Hooton but these are not near Little Budworth. cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 15 17:35 BST (UK) »
Pardon my ignorance but what are Lancashire QSP's?
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
Lancashire, Quarter Session Records and Petitions, 1648-1908

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 October 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan, I've used Quarter Session records in the past but that was for some research I was doing on convicts.

Does this mean Poor Law records are on there?  Oh I do hope so........

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 October 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
They include filiation and maintenance orders, settlement orders, and removal orders.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 October 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
They include filiation and maintenance orders, settlement orders, and removal orders.

Stan

Thank you, I'm off for a scout.  :D

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Benson children entries in Baptismal Register, St. Cuthbert, Lytham were for births, not baptisms, as was customary for R.C. children at the time. Most of my 18thC  R.C. ancestors from Lytham were also in St. Cuthbert's Baptism Register, many as births, some as baptisms. I believe Bishop of Chester issued a reminder to clergy in 1760s to record births of R.C. children. Births of Clifton children of Lytham Hall were in St. Cuthbert Register even if births & baptisms were in another part of England.
Godparents of some of my Crookall ancestors were members of the Cliftons of Lytham Hall and their relatives, other Lancs. Catholic gentry. Your genteel godparent may have been a relative of the Clifton family, visiting Lytham Hall. 2 members of the Latham family were godparents of 2 Crookall babies. They owned property in Wigan and Merseyside but rented Westby Hall, near Lytham from Thomas Clifton. One inherited Staining Hall near Poulton-le-Fylde. My 4xGGMa was allegedly related to them.   
Did you find a marriage of Anne to William Benson?
Might Anne have been returned to her birth parish?                                                                 This week I found a Removal Order dated 1768 from Toxteth Park to West Derby for a widow Elizabeth Malley +6 children. She was born Elizabeth Crookall in Lytham, and married in Lancaster 1759. I don't know why she was being sent to W. Derby. To complicate matters, her husband had 2 surnames. 
The Clifton family remained Catholic in 18thC. R.C. chapel at Lytham Hall was used by community until 1800.
Cowban