Author Topic: Michael Henry  (Read 4957 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Henry
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 October 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
Chris

It was common for men to travel for work, even out of the country and to send for the family once settled.

Have you looked for him all over the UK ?

Have you tried looking for him in America ?

Have you followed up on the deaths suggested to you on your other thread ?

Have you followed up on the arrest records suggested to you on your other thread ?

Tara

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 October 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood

I'm confused.

Are you looking for a 'second' marriage for Michael ?

Should it not be a marriage for JOHN the possible brother that you would be looking for ?

HA Or am I missing something ?

Tara
Tara, I couldn't find a marriage for John which would then give a father's name to compare with the Michael Henry / Rosanna Field marriage.
Whilst looking in that area- Bolton registration district, I saw the Michael Henry/ McElvarnick marriage.
This couple turn up in Ashton in 1881.

That makes me wonder if Michael and John in Farnworth are not connected to Michael Henry who marries in Liverpool.

I think that is where Sligo comes from so if he is not the chap in Farnworth, he may not come from Sligo either.

We will have to see what Chris thinks.

Heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 October 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
I'm with you now   ;D

Although, I was working on the occupation being such a good match, although that could be a coincidence.

Hopefully Chris will tell us how he got on with the leads from the other thread and sure we can take it from there.

Tara

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 October 15 13:45 BST (UK) »
It is a good occupation match and that's what makes it so frustrating.

I know it would cost a lot but I think you need to check the birth certificates to see if Michael is named as father and if his occupation remains as a Painter.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 October 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
It's such a shame that the English census can't be searched by occupation the way the Irish one can !

Tara

Offline kennyseddon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks again all,  i checked  the possible deaths for Michael, the most promising being the death in 1898, in Liverpool ( which ties in with the censuses) age 56, and  got the death cert
and his address which led to another family ( wife and child). Interestingly the poor chap fell into the docks just before new years eve and died from shock, whilst visiting Liverpool Archives i  found that the story made the front page of the Liverpool Mercury.

I have a few wrong death certs and have found another match b 1844 approx d 1896 Bury Lancs, 8c 359

I have a few emigrating or being at sea but their professions dont fit.

Cant find any links to prisons as yet, and it seems a long time to be hospitalised . ill send for this new death cert and see what it brings.

Thanks for your help again
Chris
Henry /- Liverpool
Dennison /Johnstone- Liverpool / Penrith

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

This is going to be a tricky search as you are working with such a big time line.

You can only really go by the time the last child was born ~ to the Census where his wife says she was widowed.

Now, as I'm sure you are aware, while we would all like to think that the Census are completely accurate they often aren't, people lied, people fibbed, people made guesses, people made errors.

Then there is the Census taker themselves, they too were open to human error OR making presumptions.

So, you have a date when the last child was born.

Just a scenario, but he could have abandoned his wife and children.

His wife, on the following two Census when asked, says Married, to cover embarrassment and of course to a degree she still would be . . .

. . . then there is the Census where she states she was widowed . . .

. . . But, just for one second, presuming that he did abandon his family  . . . wherever he went to, he could have died and his wife wouldn't have known . . .

Was there then a presumption by the latter Census, in her own mind that he was dead, he may not have been . . . so you still need to look for him AFTER this date.

So, again, I'm not saying that this is fact, just a possibility . . .

. . . but you could be buying a LOT of certs to try and work it out, wait on certs 'til you get a much better lead.

IF it were me, I would look at every single Michael Henry with at least a 5 year age variant in all of England, Scotland, Wales (at a later point then the US)

Start at the first census after the last child was born . . . start with one of the Michael's that you will find.

My instinct is that his occupation won't change so stay looking for painters.

Be flexible with places of birth as we still can't be 100% sure that Sligo or indeed Ireland is correct, so be open to any POB.

In Ireland, people in prison or institutions sometimes appear by just their initials, I'm not sure if the same applies in the UK but try searches this way too.

Don't rule out a possible match that may have a wife and children, worse case scenario he may have remarried.

A lot to think about and take it but a bit of lateral thinking may yield results.

Tara

Offline kennyseddon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:18 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks Tara for such an extensive reply, and your sound advice. Youve made some interesting points  i shall take on board and i will continue to search the Michael Henrys again as you suggested. I suppose it will be one thing finding him and then to prove hes the correct one, thanks again

Also thanks Heywood ( the place or a surname? )for your comments, this board really is one of the best of its kind around for help and advice!

Cheers,Chris
Henry /- Liverpool
Dennison /Johnstone- Liverpool / Penrith

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

I would just reiterate checking the birth certificates of the children- or perhaps the last child born.
It may be that, as Tara says, the couple were separated. Sometimes, baptism details state one thing and civil registration another.

Good luck with the searches

Heywood ( after the place - grandad's birthplace   :)  )