Author Topic: Transcribe help needed  (Read 2797 times)

Offline dafadowndilly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Transcribe help needed
« on: Friday 16 October 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello, can some one help me with another transcription please? It is my 4x grandfather John Cameron born 9th June 1766 at Inverness-shire... The entry I have marked in square bracket and the words I can't read are underlined. Thank you.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Transcribe help needed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 October 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Those are place names where everyone lived with the exception of Even Gow who was a witness.  What Parish is this? 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline dafadowndilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
Kiltarlity, Inverness.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 15 22:54 BST (UK) »
NW Inverness not well mapped for this era.  Could be Gomnairough, Aredronich and Bvearkis and chances are if they are on a map they will be spelled differently. 

Try http://maps.nls.uk/atlas/thomson/487.html top left plate and then left side of the top right. 

Sorry I can't be more helpful, with the Parish now known someone with more knowledge of this part of Inverness might come forward.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline dafadowndilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 15 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Don  :)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 October 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
May be stretching here but a possible for "Ardrenich", if that's what it is, bearing in mind the variable spelling of place names at this time.  There is an Allt Drimneach in the parish - allt meaning "stream".  "Ard" is tall, lofty or high ground.  Could Ardrenich be a croft/farm on the high ground near the Drimneach?

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 October 19 02:03 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Ardrenick/Ardrenich too. There was/is an Airddrean, but I'm inclined to think it's Ardrennan
As for "Gomnacroish" with an added drop/smudge of ink, I think it's Tomnacross. What we see as a "G" may be a "T" with a flourish - compare it to the rest of the page if you can. The "G" in Gow does look different.
Even Gow could be Euen and could well be related. There are "Fraser Gow" families as well as "Fraser Lee"
And the last one...Breakachy perhaps? Again, Ill keep looking.
Loanichkime/Lonvickime is near Camault Muir, "Sawmill" is at Aigas. Cottartown was next to Achnamoin and both were near the Sawmill at Aigas.
I'm working on "Balln[whatever the heck that is]aiban.
I also have some Camerons on the go but am not sure they're mine yet.

Pat

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 October 19 09:53 BST (UK) »
Tomnacroish, probably now Tomnacross
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=57.4373&lon=-4.4778&layers=6&b=1

Ardronich

The combination 'Bv' is impossible. It has to be 'Br'.

Looks like Brearkis (which is probably a variant spelling of something like Breakish). Edit: Breakachy looks not impossible. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.4626&lon=-4.5713&layers=6&b=1 but it's in the parish of Kilmorack, on the other side of the river, not in the parish of Kiltarlity.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
Ardrenich = Moy

https://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/beauly/pdfs/SURVY1.pdf
ARDRANNICH # (5840)
KILTARLITY & CONVINTH(KCV), CONVINTH(CTX) Settlement NH516414 (Accurate position) 45m
duabus Moys vulg. nuncup. Arddranich 1511 NLS Dep. 327, 59/2 [Original of the charter confirmed by the king and printed RMS ii no. 3602. Occurs as Arddranich thrice.]
Ardranich 1511 RMS, ii no. 3602 [Other source details: John Ogilvie de Laveroklaw sells to Thomas lord Fraser de Lovet and his heirs and assignees: i.e. 'terras suas de duabus Moys vulgariter nuncupat. Ardranich ;' In the original charter of John Ogilvie (NLS Dep. 327/51.2) it is written Arddranich (thrice).]
Ardrene 1655 NLS Dep. 327, 44/1 [RMS x no. 406 has Ardiene.]
Ardranniche 1681 Chisholm Writs, no. 521 [Disposition by Wm. Fraser oy and
apparent heir to William Fraser of Kilbockie, in favour of Alex. Cheisholme of Comer, who has paid 'several of my creditors .... of my urgent and necessary affairs',...... annual rent of 20 merks from the davach land of Grome and Fingask and from the east part of a davochland of Ardranniche commonly called Moy.]
Ardrynich 1799x1800 Brown Plans, no. 25 Ardrennich 1852 RHP3650
(Alias) Moy
G àirde; G raithneach (Probable) Notes associated with name:
'Height of bracken'? According to a charter of 1511 this is the alternative name for 'two Moys', and so most likely refers to the 2 davochs called Moy of 1220 x 1221 (Mor. Reg. nos. 21, 51). Thus Ardrannich is a large territory, and much reduced by the time it is mapped as a newly laid out farm in the mid-19th century (RHP3608, on which the NGR NH516414 is based). The height in the name most likely refers to the low ridge between Tomnacross and Belladrum, east of the A833 and west of the Belladrum Burn. Note that in 1681 mention is made of an annual rent of 20 merks from the davach land of Grome and Fingask and from the east part of a davochland of Ardranniche commonly called Moy (Chisholm Writs no. 521).