Author Topic: House Name  (Read 4737 times)

Offline fauves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
House Name
« on: Friday 16 October 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
This is a little bit of a long shot, but just wondering if anyone has any know-how on finding historic information on properties (build dates/original names/owners etc.)?
Our house is in Herefordshire and although I am a seasoned genealogist I haven't been able to get anywhere with it. The house is presumed to have been built c. 1700 as a parsonage/manse and is one of the few houses of its type in the vicinity (fairly typical symmetrical proportions, three stories and large windows) as the rest are almost entirely very small cottages, aside from some very large and old farmhouses. However, apart from a mention in the 1891-1911 census there is absolutely no record of it before this point. Every other house locally seems to have been recorded on at least one census before this, usually by name. The houses either side of ours is are often mentioned but ours is not.

I had wondered whether if our house was built by the church, maybe it was sold off and then left empty for a long period of time?

Any help much appreciated.
Fauves

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: House Name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 October 15 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Fauves and welcome to Rootschat, can you give details of your awareness of the house 1891/1911 and possibly census reference?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fauves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hello and thanks for the welcome.
Not sure if I want the name of the house displayed, but the record I have to hand right now is from 1891, when the house was occupied by Elizabeth Powell, 69, Widowed and Living on Own Means along with daughter Jane and Granddaughter Ethel. (Reference RG12/4580)

I know the Powell's occupied the house for some time, although the house was later occupied by a William Williams and eventually his daughter Harriet who never married and lived here her entire life until around 1980.

Perhaps also useful is that I have the tithe map from the 1840s when the land surrounding the property - about 10-15 acres I think - presumably including the property - were owner by an Edmund Acton, although I have found no record of an Edmund Acton anywhere in the West Midlands or Wales other than one or two in Greater Manchester.

Many thanks.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 15 22:49 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting Land Registry that covers the area where the house is?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 15 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again see what you mean pre 1891 Full census ref 1891 RG12/4580/112/8 with Elizabeth Powell, 1901 William Williams RG13/5178/74/9
Priory Wood, Clifford
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 October 15 09:39 BST (UK) »
Do you have details of the '51 and '61 Census?

RG09  1829  53  2
HO107  1980  414  10

Richard Powell is listed on page 94 of the 1856 PO Directory of Herefordshire (Historical Directories online). But residence is not named.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 October 15 09:43 BST (UK) »
1841 reference  HO107  419  5  5

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 October 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
Have you checked British History on line?

www.british-history.ac.uk

Offline fauves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 October 15 11:08 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting Land Registry that covers the area where the house is?
Carol

Hello
I haven't done that but when we purchased the house we were given all the available deeds and documents I think which only seemed to go back as far as the 60s/70s. The previous owner apparently lost the original title deeds, which I assume would've been very helpful! Do you know if perhaps land registry would have a copy?
Thanks