Author Topic: Birth record of Thirza Margett  (Read 3215 times)

Offline sheenaj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth record of Thirza Margett
« on: Saturday 17 October 15 00:58 BST (UK) »
Trying to find the birth record of Thirza Margett. born we believe 15 Aug 1812 Wooton Vale Oxfordshire. We have her birth date from a headstone in Ontario Canada. We are trying to find out who her parents where. Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Stewart,Seggie,Callow,[Scot]Ellison,Dwyer,Parker,Jarvis[Eng]Callow[IOM]

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Birth record of Thirza Margett
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have looked in the parish records of Wooton Nr Abingdon which is in Oxfordshire now but was in Berkshire until 1974. It is very close to Oxford to the south - nothing.

I have looked in the records for Wooton, Nr Woodstock and there are Margetts there and an Elizabeth bapt 1809 but no Thirza.

Oxfordshire Family History Society will search their baptism index for you for a small fee which may help. Google them to find their web site.

I am from the Woodstock area of oxfordshire and know the county well but I have never heard of a Wooton Vale.

Not sure any of this helps?

Who did Thirza marry and when perhaps we can find her that way?

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 15 11:11 BST (UK) »
Who did Thirza marry and when perhaps we can find her that way?

William Midford  :)

Seeking marriage here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=733116.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sheenaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
Morning. The Wooton [vale] came from an inscription on a Canadian find a grave!1841/51 English census just have place of birth Wooton.. We had been trying to confirm who her parents were the F.A.G. suggested George Margetts and Harriet Styles BUT they had entered Harriet's birth as 1853 -which makes no sense. So I wanted to confirm if that was an error or misleading info.I did post on the Cheshire segment looking for confirmation of Thirza's marriage to William Midford,hoping there may lie he answer.Those people were extremely helpful and confirm parents were George and Harriet.
So problem solved. it is always good to get local insight. Being Scottish I know all these little Vales,Glens ect. can help pinpoint rather to the larger towns.
Thanks again.Sheena

Offline jillsalt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think this is the baptism you are looking for:
Baptism: Wootton, Oxfordshire, 1812 Aug 23, STILES Turzah baseborn d. Harriett (Oxfordshire Family History Society CD).

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 November 15 00:30 GMT (UK) »
In 1822, my Samuel Carson Boyd had dealings in Oxford with a John Margetts who had owned the Anchor Inn. there was some dispute over a horse and gig. I wonder if there is a connection between John and Turzah.
All of my Samuel Carson Boyds children were born in Oxford but none of the baptisms have been found. I have wondered if maybe the baptisms are in Berkshire and after reading this posting, I am really wondering. My gg grandmother was Susannah Boyd born Oct 14, 1808 and her sister Jane was born  Mar 30, 1815. These two dates are exact but the others are not.  Robert and John were born before 1810, William Carson Boyd was born Abt Dec 1811 and Samuel Carson Boyd, Jr. was born abt 1812. Margaret was born abt 1815, And Eliza in 1823. I have paid the Oxfordshire History History Society 27 pounds sterling and they have searched extensively in the Oxford baptisms, including some non-conformist religions.  If anyone found these baptisms, I would be overjoyed.
Thanks for any help.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline sheenaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 November 15 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peggy.i received your info but i am out of the country at present so will read when i return

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 November 15 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm.  There is a Turzah Stiles, baptised 23 Aug 1812 @ Wootton(Oxfordshire).  Baseborn daughter of Harriott.

I can find no marriage in the OxFHS marriage index for a Harriott Stiles/Style/Styles. 
But there is a marriage for a Harriette Margetts, to Richard Prentice(of Steeple Aston). 21 May 1825 @ Wootton.  by Licence.  Witnesses - Elizabeth West & John Margetts.

Also, there are 3 Wootton baptisms that I've found to Thomas & Anne Margett(nee.Parker).  Married - 10 Nov 1794 @ Wootton.

9 Mar 1805 - Martha.
2 July 1809 - Eliza.
17 June 1811 - John.

I don't know if I am clouding the waters, so to speak, so please ignore as you feel.

Steve. :)

Taken from OxFHS Wootton Transcripts. (Woodstock Reg District).
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 November 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think this is the baptism you are looking for:
Baptism: Wootton, Oxfordshire, 1812 Aug 23, STILES Turzah baseborn d. Harriett (Oxfordshire Family History Society CD).

Hi jillsalt and welcome to RootsChat :)

Encouraging to see that Steve (bucksboy) agrees with you ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch