Author Topic: Australian Citizen - died USA  (Read 3109 times)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Australian Citizen - died USA
« on: Saturday 17 October 15 01:08 BST (UK) »
I have an Australian Citizen who died in USA in 1958.

I have found his burial in the Springvale Cemetery (Victoria).

I presume a death record would have been issued in the USA.
Would there also be a record for this death recorded in Australia.

Help would be appreciated.

Sarra

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Citizen - died USA
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 15 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Have you asked the Cemetery to confirm that it is a burial?  If so, perhaps they can provide you with the contact details for the funeral directors who may be able to provide details for your ancestor.   

Each state/territory in Australia has its own parliament, and I am not familiar with Victoria's legislation so I cannot give you a definitive answer re a death registration.  I can however confirm that in New South Wales that the funeral directors lodge the registrations directly to NSW BDM.   I can also recall that Queensland BDM issued death certs for members of the Defence Forces who Fell while serving overseas in both WWI and WWII. 

I am interested in learning of the outcome of your enquiry.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 15 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi sarra,
I know I am not quite answering your question  here, but would just like to mention it is not unusual for a memorial for a deceased person to be at one cemetery when the death of the person occurred  somewhere else entirely. This of course is not the same as a burial.

It often happens when a close family member is interred, extended family is mentioned on a plaque or headstone.

Another thing to remember is that the repatriation of "entire" remains to Australia would be a costly exercise. Ashes from cremation of course, are a simpler matter.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 15 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Have you asked the Cemetery to confirm that it is a burial?  If so, perhaps they can provide you with the contact details for the funeral directors who may be able to provide details for your ancestor.   

I am interested in learning of the outcome of your enquiry.   

Cheers,  JM
Hi JM,
Have not contacted the Cemetery as yet - will do that tomorrow. Not sure how forthcoming the funeral directors will be.

Will post back when I have any information.

Thank you..

Sarra

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 15 06:25 BST (UK) »
I would expect the funeral directors to be able to confirm details about the deceased that you already know .....  including for example his nok or last address .... You should likely already know this, but it would help you to confirm that you definitely have the 'right' person.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 15 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hi sarra,
I know I am not quite answering your question  here, but would just like to mention it is not unusual for a memorial for a deceased person to be at one cemetery when the death of the person occurred  somewhere else entirely. This of course is not the same as a burial.

It often happens when a close family member is interred, extended family is mentioned on a plaque or headstone.

Another thing to remember is that the repatriation of "entire" remains to Australia would be a costly exercise. Ashes from cremation of course, are a simpler matter.

Sue
Sue,
 I understand what you are saying I have come across something similar before.

I just checked the information I got from the Springvale Cemetery website.  The person who died 1958 USA was cremated. I can see now it's likely his ashes are interred in the grave of the person who died in 1993 (his ex-wife).  The information on the website lists this as a burial (1993).
Hopefully the Springvale Cemetery can give me the details for both of these.

Thanks for your input.

Sarra

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 15 07:11 BST (UK) »
I would expect the funeral directors to be able to confirm details about the deceased that you already know .....  including for example his nok or last address .... You should likely already know this, but it would help you to confirm that you definitely have the 'right' person.

Cheers,  JM
JM,
The only time I contacted a funeral director asking for information I never got a reply.
I'm sure I have the correct person, I have done my research.

Sarra

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 October 15 07:16 BST (UK) »
I have always found funeral directors to be very helpful,  I still write snail mails to funeral directors and I always include a stamped self addressed envelope for their reply.   

Cheers,  JM

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 October 15 04:03 BST (UK) »
I have always found funeral directors to be very helpful,  I still write snail mails to funeral directors and I always include a stamped self addressed envelope for their reply.   

Cheers,  JM
Thanks JM,
Hopefully if I have to contact one, they well be forthcoming with my request for information.

Cheers....Sarra