Author Topic: Engraved cufflinks  (Read 3432 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Engraved cufflinks
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 October 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Good point like

Martin of Upton Grey, Odiham, Hants an  arm Dexter, brandishing a Scimitar

https://archive.org/stream/fairbairnsbookof01fair#page/378/mode/2up

My Heraldy book shows the arm on the cufflink as embowed though not Dexter.

http://www.myfamilysilver.com/crestfinder-search/martin-family-crest
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 07:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all.   As a matter of interest, the posting by Whiteout7 suggests Martin of Upton Grey, which is, in fact, the same line as Martin of Lockynge.  Descendants of Sir Henry Martin, first Baronet, of Lockynge bought the house at Upton Grey Nr. Odiham.

I've discovered some tiny hallmarks on the back of the cufflinks.  I plan to take them to a local jeweller to ask if they can get a date range as this would help pinpoint who had them made.   Although we think they came from my husband's grandfather, they could be older than that.
Turner (Shropshire)  Satterley (Devon) Panisset (UK & France) Martin (Northern Ireland) Warden (Northern Ireland)  Chaddock (Bristol)  Loram (Devon) Otter (UK Midlands) Boon (UK Midlands) Rouse (UK Midlands) Stevenson (UK Midlands)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 07:24 BST (UK) »
The date letter (part of the hallmarks) would confirm when they were assayed.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 13:01 BST (UK) »
I think you might find hallmarks online actually.  :) Can you get a good macro photo of them? If so, post them here and someone may be able to help you.

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 October 15 03:08 BST (UK) »
I'm not able to get a photo of the hallmarks, but got the cufflinks cleaned at a local jeweller.   Now it's easier to see the marks, but still difficult.   From the left it's a crown, followed by the number 18, then an anchor on its side, and then the letter V. 

The maker's mark looks like D preceded by another letter.   
I've had a look online and this could be Arthur Downing Ltd. of Birmingham (the anchor), and A.D. was their mark for the 1st qtr. 20th C - i.e. 1920 (from the letter V).

So this time would fit with my husband's grandfather, who would have been 45 at the time - perhaps a gift from his wife?  His own father was dead by this time.

Thanks everyone for suggestions and comments.

Turner (Shropshire)  Satterley (Devon) Panisset (UK & France) Martin (Northern Ireland) Warden (Northern Ireland)  Chaddock (Bristol)  Loram (Devon) Otter (UK Midlands) Boon (UK Midlands) Rouse (UK Midlands) Stevenson (UK Midlands)