Author Topic: Legal Reason To Marry in Ireland Not England in 1882?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Legal Reason To Marry in Ireland Not England in 1882?
« on: Saturday 17 October 15 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hello
My great grandparents were both born in England, yet they got married in Kilmallock in Ireland in 1882. None of my g-grandmother's family have an Irish connection, but other than knowing my g-Grandfather's birth was in London from the census I'm not sure about his parents. I've ordered a copy of their marriage cert from the Irish records dept in the hope of finding his Father's name to help me trace his line further. While  I wait for the slow process by post, I wondered if there might have been some legal advantage to marrying in Ireland rather than England in the 1880's? Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree and he has no family connection there at all and they went there for some legal reason?
His name was Edwin John Harris (born in Haggerston,  London 1853)
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/77219570/family
Thanks for any light anyone might be able to shed on this last real mystery in my tree
Price & Griffiths (Swansea), Horwood & Harris (Herts/Bucks), Robertson (Aberdeenshire/London), Vamplew (Lincolnshire /London),  Smith (Romani Travellers/BlackPatch), Greig (Aberdeenshire) Grimes (Norfolk)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Reason To Marry in Ireland Not England in 1882?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
Reckon you are barking up wrong tree, he may have been working here or in Police etc as they would have married under same rules/laws in 1882
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 15 19:15 BST (UK) »
An Edwin HARRIS (mother Mary} married Susan HARWOOD in Ireland 19 Jan 1882. Is this your couple? If so. it was because he was in the Army stationed in Ireland.

My grandparents both born in England, married in Ireland for the same reason.

CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
An Edwin HARRIS (mother Mary} married Susan HARWOOD in Ireland 19 Jan 1882. Is this your couple? If so. it was because he was in the Army stationed in Ireland.

My grandparents both born in England, married in Ireland for the same reason.
Oh oh oh YES!!! Susan Louise Horwood. You are BRILLIANT - how did you find his Mother's name? I've been looking for 18months!
Price & Griffiths (Swansea), Horwood & Harris (Herts/Bucks), Robertson (Aberdeenshire/London), Vamplew (Lincolnshire /London),  Smith (Romani Travellers/BlackPatch), Greig (Aberdeenshire) Grimes (Norfolk)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
His Army records are on Findmypast, He was in the Northamptonshire Regiment.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 October 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks so much!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 October 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
I've ordered a copy of their marriage cert from the Irish records dept in the hope of finding his Father's name to help me trace his line further. While  I wait for the slow process by post,

I know this is too late for you but on the off chance you ever need any more a research cert costing €4 will be delivered by email.

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 October 15 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I ordered a photocopy research one a short while ago,  just waiting for it to arrive as I had to post the form to Ireland.  I wasn't sure if the certificate would show a parent name though, even when it does arrive. I'm still not sure about Mary being his Mother's name mind you, I paid to look at the military records as a one off pay as you go on FindMyPast as suggested (I have ancestry.co.uk subscription but they don't come up on there) and while I found his enlistment papers, I couldn't see where his Mother's name is mentioned.

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 October 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
It's on page 4. "Next of Kin wife Susan mother Mary" in handwriting just above the work 'Campaign' written on the left. When the cert arrives it should give both fathers names and occupations but won't give mothers names.