Author Topic: Virginia Gardner  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Jacquie68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Gardner
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 24 October 15 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Irish GRO had no record of James but the lovely people on friends chat found the baptism record dated 1892 but that would make him 66 years old at death or even 65 depending on month born not 64 as the headstone reads so wondering if where info for death (& headstone) comes from as all the other information from baptism more fits  correctly than the headstone :/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 24 October 15 13:17 BST (UK) »
A death certificate will give informant's details and headstone information based on what someone tells stonemason to carve. Sometimes inscriptions are added years later.
Also, remember that it's only fairly recently that people would have known their exact date of birth for all sorts of records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jacquie68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 24 October 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey so the headstone could be wrong :/ xx

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 24 October 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
Oops Sorry meant *died 10 April 1958 aged 64* :)

Jacquie68
aghadowey is correct ages shown on headstones and even death certificates are based on the knowledge of the informant. They were frequently wrong until relatively recently.

Also only this month I asked a stonemason to add an inscription to a grave and there is an error in it. As it is an inscription into an old existing grave making a change is going to be difficult and I must admit I am inclined to leave it however it does mean that in the future someone may be asking why is her name shown as...!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Jacquie68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 24 October 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you myluck, I'll stick with the information, links etc you found as they seem to match the St. Paul's baptism records you found, this also ties in with the army enlistment ( August 1911) he said he was 18 years 6 months but his son said that James had lied (common practice I believe ) so in actual fact he was really 17 years 1 month :/
I am still working my way through all the info above from all you excellent people at rootschat that have helped me. Thank you :) xx