Author Topic: Esther Hurley, Cork General Hospital - Cork 1934 - ish  (Read 3121 times)

Offline offpeak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Esther Hurley, Cork General Hospital - Cork 1934 - ish
« on: Sunday 18 October 15 02:06 BST (UK) »
Esther White in the year of  1934 ish was in Cork General Hospital, she had an infant registered Patrick Joseph Hurley, now about 82 years of age. Patrick Joseph grew up in Clonakilty, Co Cork, and had no family, (orphanage). I never knew Patrick Joseph Hurley in the flesh but he became my father. I have never seen or heard of him, so like father like son. I am interested in the plight of Esther White, she would be grandmother. Does anyone have any ideas what how I could find out, without having to resort to a necromancer. Esther White must have had some family - of some kind, I am sure,  she would on average be about 130 give or take 10 or so years. Can anyone help me with information they might have gathered.?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Esther White, Cork General Hospital - Cork 1934 - ish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 October 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi There & Welcome

I'm afraid that we can't help with your Dad as he may still be alive but we can try with you Grandmother.

So, was there a name given for your Grandad is Mr Hurley on the birth cert ?

Was there an occupation given for him ?

Was there a home address given ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 October 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
Do you know what orphanage your Dad was in ?

Have you tried contacting them to see if they have info on his Mum ?

Tara

Offline offpeak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Hurley (White), Cork General Hospital - Cork 1933 - ish
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 15 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara.
I am sorry to say that, this is what I found, and I don't know how I got Ester White. (may be the same) Birth date for a Patrick J Hurley, 13 March 1933. One Patrick Joseph Hurley. Cork District Hospital. fathers name struck out (no name )(mothers maiden name and maiden surname........Ester Hurley from Cork.....not White. I can't remember how I came to believe it was White.  I don't think there would be that many Patrick Joseph Hurley 1933. maybe she named him after herself.  I got 2 birth records  for Hurley   Patrick 1933, ie Middleton, Cork, Ireland and a Hurley Patrick 1933   Clonakilty, Cork, Ireland. Sorry but a bit mixed up with Esther White. I suppose since they started work at about aged 14, he might have been in the work place 1947 ish.  My mother said he was a toolmaker. today that means engineering, he would have had to know how to use a machine lathe and work to very high standards machining parts ect he would have had to have been reasonably numerate. I doubt he would have been able to turn up in London 1955 ish and walk into a machine shop without having previous training and skills, he would have had to bring some of this skill already from Ireland. I wonder if there were engineers in Cork in the 1950's -How ever my mother was trained up as a clock calibrator for Westclox and she came out of a convent school. So anything is possible. (mind you, he said he was brought up in Clonakilty. Co Cork and not having a family might explain the blank above.  That name is Ester Hurley. ::)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 October 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi There

These cases are always tricky.

Obviously given the scenario all information known has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

He said his name was Patrick Joseph Hurley born 1933 and brought up in Clonakilty Cork.

1. To start with age, I would use more of a variable than 1 year. People can be free and easy with their actual age at the best of times. Those reared in institutions may have had to rely on an age told to them. This leads to inconsistencies and in turn, very difficult to trace correct documentation.

2. Let's presume being reared in an Institution in Clonakilty, Cork is correct. That doesn't necessarily mean that he was born there. He could have been born anywhere in Ireland and just sent to an Institution in Cork to be reared. Again, this makes a search harder still.

3. Another issue is that let's presume he was illegitimate, his birth may not have been registered at all. While all births were supposed to be registered at this point in time, many weren't.

4. While he said that his name was Patrick Joseph Hurley, this may not have been his birth name, yet a name given to him at a later stage.

So, can you see how hard it is to work on cases like this ?

So, back to the cert that you have gotten and are hoping is the correct one ~

Patrick Joseph Hurley ~ Mum Esther Hurley.

Esther wasn't a common Christian name here at the time.

Not rare, but not common either

I'm not getting any great leads for a possible birth for her in Cork.

She could have been a Mary Esther / Margaret Esther or the like, she could have been born Mary E or Margaret E and so on.

The likes of this one is interesting but under no circumstance could there be any guarantee that it's one and the same person.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBYX-6Y7

Given the circumstances, she could have given her nickname / pet name.

We don't know her age in 1933, which also hinders any searches.

So, I'm sorry to be the bearer of what I'm sure sounds like grim reading but I just wanted to be realistic.

We have had great success here with people googling and getting in touch if they think they are related so you never know.

Hopefully something good comes out of all this.

Best Of Luck

Tara

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Hurley, Cork General Hospital - Cork 1934 - ish
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 October 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
You've have a better chance of responses if you click on 'report to moderator' and ask for
1) this thread to be moved to CORK board (you've posted on a Resource board which isn't for queries)
and
2) ask for title to be changed from Esther White to Esther Hurley

:)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline offpeak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Any other ideas for Esther Hurley, Cork General Hosptial.   

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 June 22 22:20 BST (UK) »
Moved to Cork as requested
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline offpeak28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 May 23 20:29 BST (UK) »
The birth certificate says cork general hospital for Patrick Joseph Hurley, mother Ester hurley. There's no father mentioned. He was my dad, and left my mum deserted in Wimbledon London. He died in 1997 at the age of 65 but he has a son Roger Micheal Hurley born 1970 east end of London. He would  be my half brother, I'm 65 and have never met him