Author Topic: Margaret Burke from near Clifden Connemara  (Read 4115 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Burke from near Clifden Connemara
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 October 15 22:00 BST (UK) »
1. Was Margaret still alive in 1911 ?

If so what POB is on the census for her ?

2. The link was for another possible brother that was not part of the family story.

3. Was Margaret RC?

Clfden RC records are online but I can't spot the family.

4. The reason I asked for townland was that while her daughter said her Mum said Clfden, well Margaret might just have referred to the nearest big town. Their records could show up in other near parishes Rahoon, Moycullen, Killanin are just a few examples.

5. I'm also concerned in the vast differences in her parent's names - I would normally go by the marriage as the info would have been given by Margaret.

Death info is usually given by a child.

If we are to presume a child gave it, and got it wrong then it makes taking the Clifden avenue with a punch of salt too.

So, have you started looking through the church records that Aghadowey posted for you ?

Tara

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 October 15 23:39 BST (UK) »
1 Margaret died in 1917 - as far as I am aware it was always simply  Ireland - but I will check out the 1911 census tomorrow. Sorry for the typo (1817) In  my original post.
2 ok - but possibly too young.
3 Yes as I stated in my original post
4 I absolutely understand this point , but I can't magic up a town land where none has ever been given.  I have always assumed she meant near Cliften,  rather than actually in Cliften, that is what her only living grand daughter (my aunt) believes. It is also what I said in my posts.
5  The names were given by a grandchild who had never met them, close to 40 years  after ever their daughter  (the dying g woman) last saw either of them. In my experience grand children often don't know the names of long dead relatives.   However you may be unaware that irish names were often miss transcribed in Scotland,  due to inability to understand the accent (you have to laugh) and a superior attitude  on the part of the educated enumerators to the lower class imigrants.  I can see both mistakes being made quite easily, especially Foley for Conley. 

I do think there is a difference between not knowing or not remembering your grandparents names under a stressful circumstance (mum just died),  and not knowing where your mum came from - she probably talked and sang about it on a daily basis, if she was like everyone else in her family!  They were an intelligent and articulate family, going from illiterate  in the case of Margaret to a graduate  as was one of her sons!

Yes I have started searching the online  church records - no luck yet !
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 October 15 23:55 BST (UK) »
Most of the churches in the area have records going back to the 1850"s so just be super patient and go through each page slowly and steadily as the writing can be tricky.

Rootsireland has most of them transcribed but you will have to pay €30 for a months sub and no guarantees that you would find them.

Tara

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 October 15 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tara for your assistance, ps - the 1911 census just said Irish too!!  I think that is all they were obliged to put , though some did put more, after all Ireland was not yet independent at that point.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 May 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
A wee update from me - not that I have found anything definite, but I finally got around to doing a DNA test, and I chose (for my first shot anyway) to get an ancestry autosomal test, mainly because they have the biggest database. 

I have listed as likely 3rd cousins, 2 I think sisters (from comparing their trees), The confidence level is extremely high, one has 123 centimorgans in common, over 6 segments of DNA.  From what I have read, they are a certainty (just about) to be a direct connection at 3rd/4th cousin level, probably 3rd cousin level.

On top of that they have all the right names, Burke, Michael Burke, even Miles Burke, marriages to Connolly - but I just don't see where they fit in with what I know! And they have not responded to my message!

There are also 3 other 4th Cousin connections, but again no easy fit into their trees.  4 of the 5 tree's are US based (from memory) the last one is in Australia, with, as far as I know at the minute, no one still in Ireland.

I will have to look for one of those 'free weekends' that ancestry do around the holiday seasons, and see what I can find.  Or take a deep breath and look at Family search a bit more deeply.  I find it hard-going!

PS  Any suggestions welcome and gratefully received!
PPS I lost the will to live searching the catholic parish records, but, you're right, I should go back and finish it some day!!