Author Topic: Gilbert McNicol, Millport  (Read 6664 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Gilbert McNicol, Millport
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 October 15 23:18 BST (UK) »

Could a foundry labourer be described as a stocktaker (Mary was listed as Stocktakers Wife in same census)?

Colin, this is where the actual records will help you further really. Think you are on the right track from all that everyone has mentioned. You just need to firm up now really through official records...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PotHunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I've finally been able to pursue this line further and thanks to SP have confirmed the following:

Gilbert's parents were William McNicol and Mary McArthur (married 30/7/1880 in Glasgow).  William's parents were indeed Hugh McNicol and Bethia Slater.  This appears to confirm the 1861 census record with the young William present.

William has an interesting array of occupations.  On the marriage record he's listed as what looks like a Drapery Warehouse <something>man.  In the 1881 census there is a William and Marry with a son called Hugh (as Monica found above).  The transcript shows William as a Bread Van Man.  In 1882 when Gilbert was born he is listed as a Bread <something> which could be Van Man. I wonder if it could in fact be Journeyman although it doesn't look like there's a y in the middle.  In 1894 on Duncan's birth record he is listed as a Carriage Hirer.  Monica's possible match in 1891 staying with the McArthur's shows him as a Foundry Labourer.

His absence from the family home on census nights is still a bit of a mystery!

I've found a possible match in the 1901 census though - as a pauper patient at the Argyll and Bute District Asylum!  There is a William Stater McNicoll listed, although his birth place is listed as cumbrae, Buteshire.  I wonder how accurate the birthplace would have been though.  I've not viewed the actual record - just the index record on Ancestry.  The transcript there shows his occupation as Formerly Al Cab Herere.  Heaven only knows what that might represent!

Thanks again to all for all your help and input  :)
MacKenzie
Marais
Gorman
Price
Merry
Christie
Sahli
Nicholas
McNicol
Granger
Young
Pippard
Fraser

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 01:09 GMT (UK) »
In 1894 on Duncan's birth record he is listed as a Carriage Hirer.

I've found a possible match in the 1901 census. The transcript there shows his occupation as Formerly Al Cab Herere.  Heaven only knows what that might represent!

Same thing really (Herere) transcription error by the look of it & should read "Hirer"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"