Author Topic: Mary Ann/William Fletcher.  (Read 2216 times)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann/William Fletcher.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 October 15 06:23 BST (UK) »
As you mention the stumbling blocks are Edward being a coal miner and his father still being alive when he married, which was the reason I had thought it unlikely.    However on the 1851 census image Edward's age of 17 has been crossed out and replaced by 14 which fits better with your Edward and in 1841 he is listed as 2.   Family Search has a possible bapt in 1837 in Madeley https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKHD-N57  It is the right area and his mother is Ann who could have been a witness

Edward was only 14 in 1851 so he could have changed occupation in 10 years - but he would have needed to be an apprentice??    Does Edward Jones and Mary Fletcher's marriage cert list their addresses when they married and do they sign the cert rather than just making their mark??

Kay

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 October 15 02:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, Sadly the address at the time of this marriage for both Edward and Mary just say DUDLEY. Also the names are signed, BUT the writing seems all the same hand through out this certificate.
Have sent you a copy of this certificate. Some one told me about a site on your Roots chat for unwanted certificates, I could not find this section, as I have a couple I could give away. You can also put this one on if you like, may be some one will see it and fix their piece of their puzzle.
Mean while my puzzle goes on :'(

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 October 15 10:42 BST (UK) »
http://www.thefletcherpage.org/bioindex.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_William_Fletcher

Fletcher's that I know of, come from Crudgington, Cherrington, Tibberton to Newport.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, I have again tried to sort out that 1851 Census where Edward Jones is an apprentice Blacksmith......with out issue I'm afraid. What do you think about finding the marriage certificate of William Fletcher, would this give us a clue to his parents :( We are really not having much luck with Mary are we? :'(
It's such a hard task!
Would appreciate your advice. Best wishes, Shirley.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 07:01 GMT (UK) »
It is possible William Fletcher's marriage cert would help but you need to find it first :-\

William appears to have been living with his brother George in 1881 in Barrow (as previous post) and I can't see him at the moment past 1881.    There is a possible marriage in 1885 in the Barrow in F Reg District to a Eliza McDonald (found the other couple on the index in 1891) but I can't see William and Eliza post 1885.   There is a death of a William Fletcher age 44 in Barrow but this looks too young!!

Your ancestors are elusive!!

Kay

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 October 15 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay, yes they are elusive ??? You know their son also Edward born 1864 Madeley, also a Blacksmith, (My G-Grandparents)married in Lower Mitten, Worcester. His wife Hannah Frankland was on this certificate as Annie Gladys Frankland ::) It took me months! Why..........I do not know, he was the publican of the Anchor Inn, Worcester Road, Worcester. I have had nothing but "hide and seek" for years...........sorry just needed a shoulder!
Bye for now, Shirley.

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 October 15 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay and every one connected to me, Have you seen the 1861 Census: Edward T Jones born Madeley, 1809 Blacksmith, Wife Mary Ann born Madeley 1803, Children James and Jonathan. They also had other children, one an Edward also born in Madeley......Blacksmith.
I can't believe i'm not related to this family, as our Jones family, MIRROW this family. We have all the same family names, even the Mary, Mary Rebecca etc and their Edward was also a Blacksmith.
This family years ago told me that they had a suspicion that there was an illegitimate child born, but had no proof. I was devastated when it was learned we were not all connected, I still find it hard to believe :o See what you think.