Author Topic: Amazing, but sad, death certificate  (Read 2777 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amazing, but sad, death certificate
« on: Monday 19 October 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
After downloading a death certificate for a family member, I looked at the other names on the image and wonder if it would relate to anyone on this site looking for family members.

The names are Mary and Catherine Mackenzie.

Mary was 29 years old, and Catherine was 17 years old. They both died on 01 April 1864, after drowning, because of an upset open boat, near Priest Island, Lochbroom.
Their bodies were never found.

Mary and Catherine's parents were John Mackenzie, deceased, a lotter from Scoraig and Ann Mackenzie, nee Macrae.

Their deaths were registered by their brother, John Mackenzie.

If anyone wants a copy of this certificate, I would be only too happy to share.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing, but sad, death certificate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 October 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hello heilanlassie,
     Reading your post was very eerie because I found something very similar 4 days ago when I downloaded a death certificate for a family member.
     The other 2 names on the image were Jane Steedman aged 24 & Bathia Steedman aged 22. The sisters died on 22nd January, 1870 by drowning after falling through the ice on Loch Leven, Kinrosshire. Newspaper reports say a 3rd sister, Margaret Steedman aged 20, also drowned. They were the daughters of Alexander Steedman & Margaret Steedman ms Niven Reid.
     It seems the 3 Misses Steedman were out for an afternoon walk when one of girls went on the ice on Loch Leven to rescue a dog which had fallen through. She fell through then her sisters trying to save her fell through the ice. Alexander Steedman was a Grocer in nearby Kinross and news of this triple tragedy stunned the small community.
     Just found it odd reading your post a few days after finding the similar Loch Leven deaths. Found in the same way too.
               Regards,     Dod.

PS. Jane & Bathia's Deaths were also registered by their brother. Difficult to read but it could be Alex.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
After downloading a death certificate for a family member, I looked at the other names on the image and wonder if it would relate to anyone on this site looking for family members.

The names are Mary and Catherine Mackenzie.

Mary was 29 years old, and Catherine was 17 years old. They both died on 01 April 1864, after drowning, because of an upset open boat, near Priest Island, Lochbroom.
Their bodies were never found.

Mary and Catherine's parents were John Mackenzie, deceased, a lotter from Scoraig and Ann Mackenzie, nee Macrae.

Their deaths were registered by their brother, John Mackenzie.

If anyone wants a copy of this certificate, I would be only too happy to share.

Sad tale! I had transcribed a newspaper article about that tragedy for my website that focuses on Coigach, the article did not name the two MacKenzie sisters, thanks for that additional data.

My transcript of the article is at;
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coigach/articles/18640415ia.htm
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 October 15 00:29 BST (UK) »
So sad, how many times do we read - even nowadays - of people drowning trying to rescue their dog, which then makes land by itself.