Author Topic: The Dales of Leek and Rushton Spencer  (Read 1648 times)

Offline harewood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Dales of Leek and Rushton Spencer
« on: Monday 19 October 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
i've been tracing my family tree. I was born in Leek but now live 150 miles away so haven't managed to visit recently but my tree is progressing well. You can see it on ancestry  as 2Dale family tree. I have got as far back as Daniel Dale born round about 1670. He married Mary and his children were all baptised in Rushton Spencer. I've researched all the St Lawrence records online but they start  in 1700 Anybody any ideas as to how I can go further back? All thoughts, ideas, assistance would be gratefully appreciated.
Harewood

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Dales of Leek and Rushton Spencer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 October 15 16:38 BST (UK) »

I note that there are some references to the Dale family on the following site, Sadly later the you require but you might find it of interest.

http://www.rushtonspencer.info/index.htm

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 October 15 17:44 BST (UK) »
Parish records are only available for Rushton Spencer from 1700, but there are the BTs from 1693 (gap of 1700-1707) at Lichfield Record Office.  St Lawrence was a chapelry of Leek and Lowe (St Edward the Confessor), so that might possibly be your best bet for earlier records - registers at Staffordshire Record Office commencing 1634, but with gaps, and BTs at Lichfield - commencing 1662 but again with gaps.  Information from Genuki.

Added:  a transcript of the registers 1634-1695 was produced by Staffordshire Parish Register Society, and re-printed by Birmingham & Midland SGH. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 15 21:30 BST (UK) »

Added:  a transcript of the registers 1634-1695 was produced by Staffordshire Parish Register Society, and re-printed by Birmingham & Midland SGH.

You can download a copy of the Parish Register transcripts (BMD) of Leek St Edward the Confessor part 1 1634 to 1694 from the BMSGH Shop for £5.00

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
hi
Wills on the Staffordshire name index website up to 1770
John Dale 1673
Edward 1681
Joseph 1719
Ann 1727
Joan widow 1740

You order photocopies online and then they send them through the post ,usually between £5 and £10 each.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Rob Bailey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 December 19 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Just a point of interest. In 1956 , my late father and grandfather made a chance discovery whilst carrying out maintenance work at Rushton Spencer church of St Lawrence. The church is ancient, timber spired and absolutely uniquely beautiful.( You need to cross a field to reach it, a hard pathway means ordinary road cars can safely traverse. )

The discovery was that of the burial crypt of the DeTrafford family, beneath the church. If you visit 'Ludchurch; Rushton Church Grave Robbers' you can read the incredible story, with photos, and I have posted additional info at base of the page. ( The attached photo here is one of the recovered coffins, subsequently re - interred ).