Author Topic: Burial with no death certificate  (Read 10069 times)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial with no death certificate
« on: Tuesday 20 October 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hello friends,
I wonder if someone could tell me if it was possible to bury a man in Glasgow (1898) with no death certificate?

Thanks

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Burial with no death certificate
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
No it isn't.

If you can't find his death,have you considered that he died elsewhere ie not in Scotland?

Or that his name has been mistranscribed.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
If the death was late December it may not have been registered until the new year(1899).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
So was this mysterious person and anything else you have on him?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
If you'd care to name him/her and give us some more info,we'll see what we can do!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
As others, above, have noted:

- if he died elsewhere.  Maybe he was away for Xmas at a relatives/in a hotel and died
 - sometimes they turn up late in the records, so registered on 3rd January the following year.

It's also possible to register a death "anywhere", so the relative who will be dealing with matters could've registered the death locally to themselves, or in a neighbouring area/county when they visited to do all the paperwork. 

It all depends on geography, transport, location of the registering offices.  If, say, your relative died 100 miles away and you had an office in your local town you might choose to register the death there, rather than travelling 100 miles just to attend the office near where they died for a 10 minute  bit of form filling.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies.  No offence but I have tried all the usual.  So the man in question is called  John Donnelly (born in Ireland).  I have been chasing him for years.  I originally tried to get his dc from GRONI many years ago to be told his death either had not been registered or he had died somewhere else.  At that time I also searched the civil deaths for Scotland and England and found nothing. So I thought okay he's died in Ireland and the death has not been registered. However, I have now resurrected my search as I have obtained a copy of the letters of admon from his 'estate' and his wife has stated that he died in Glasgow.   So I have gone back onto Scotlands People, used a 'fuzzy' search, been liberal with thoughts on his age and where in Scotland he could have died, bought a couple of possible d/c entries (which I knew would be wrong) but did so to cover my bases all with no luck. So, today  I rang the National Records of Scotland with the intention of paying for them to find the record!  The nice lady did a search whilst I was on the phone and found nothing likely.  So hence my last ditch attempt to find his dc or even if possible find an entry for a burial somewhere or get some ideas as to what actually happened to him (or his remains!)  I assume his wife would have needed a copy of his dc to present to the High Court Justice official to  get the money from his estate? I've even gone back to the GRONI indexes and done another search - I've also been re-examining the English indexes just in case. There is nothing for a 50-60 year old man

So, I was interested in Stanley's reply.  So lets assume his wife was in Ireland when John died.  Could she have registered his death in NI if he died in Glasgow?  Or would it needed to have been somebody in Scotland registering his death because the death was in Glasgow or elsewhere in Scotland. I really can't understand why there is no trace of a cert. anywhere.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Could he been involved with the Armed Forces?
And therefore died away from the UK?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
However, I have now resurrected my search as I have obtained a copy of the letters of admon from his 'estate' and his wife has stated that he died in Glasgow

So unless she wasn't being truthful, that is where his death should be registered. This is interesting though if it was in Scotland:  "If the person died in Scotland, you can register their death at any registration office in Scotland"
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk