Author Topic: Burial with no death certificate  (Read 10110 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Burial with no death certificate
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 00:49 BST (UK) »
Understandable if doing it yourself but not for someone else as Forfarian mentioned 20 areas & Glasgow is a big city so a days work minimum & cost per day.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 01:20 BST (UK) »
Understandable if doing it yourself but not for someone else as Forfarian mentioned 20 areas & Glasgow is a big city so a days work minimum & cost per day.

Annie

It is an option but whether it is practical is up to the OP. If they can't do it themselves then they may know someone who can. In my case I waited until I was visiting the UK to search for the burial (in Liverpool) because I knew it would be time consuming even though I have close family living in the area.

Andy

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your thoughts - so I have been on SP this morning.  I couldn't find the John Connelly that Annie mentioned age two Calton* district.  I did see one that was Bellshill, but I looked on a map and it seemed rather a way out from the centre of Glasgow so didn't pay to view.  I did however view a John Connnelly age 45 Anderston.  However, this was indeed for a man called John Connelly etc.   

I also read more information on the SP site which says that any death in Scotland must be registered within 8 days of death. (Which I thought was interesting)  and could be helpful...

I wondered the following:
Can I pay for a thorough search (not just a fuzzy name search) by the National Records of Scotland to look more closely for the deaths in Glasgow, month Sept. 1898

What about trying to look at cemetery records?  I've done an old Parish reg search on SP with no luck.  But the list of burial grounds did not look like a full list. Is it worth contacting local cemeteries in Glasgow?  I know it is not the same as a dc, but it may be all I end up with!

If a man say died in one of the hospitals in Glasgow, where would he be buried?  I was thinking of making of list of likely hospitals, finding out their reg district and looking more thoroughly at indexes for those districts and possible burial grounds.

Thanks once again for all your thoughts and guidance on this.

CD

*I have found on SP a list of the Glasgow districts with dates and it seems to suggest the Calton district years are 1907-1934

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 10:37 BST (UK) »
We're there any addresses on the letters of administration? If he or his son were actually living there he may have been buried in the cemetery nearest to that address. Was he separated from his wife, I'm just wondering whether his body would have been returned to a family burial ground in Ireland, although that may have been too expensive?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi groom,

So sadly, no there was no address given for him on the letters of admon, it just named Glasgow.  I have searched the 1891 census just in case any of the family were in Glasgow then.  I did not find anything.  His son was married in Glasgow (Milton District) in 1894, so I can place his son in Glasgow at that date.  Again, not sure if he and wife were separated.  I know that a lot of the folk from this particular area in NI (certainly from the farming communities) did come over to England and Scotland for seasonal work.  But from the area in NI where they came from many seems to go to (and from) Glasgow.

I'm looking cemeteries at the moment and have drawn up a list of possibles.  Do you know if they are online anywhere?  I'm just about the email the Cemeteries & Crematoria Registrar in Glasgow about this.  I've looked at Memento Mori, which just seems to be headstone MI's and have looked at the index of Deceased online, but they don't seem to include the Glasgow cemeteries/burial grounds.

Are there (Catholic) church microfilms somewhere with parish burials?  The Mitchell library? Modified - just on Mitchell website which says these are at the Glasgow City Archives!  :)

PS - Just to say they were v. poor.  So I would highly doubt John's body returned to NI

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 10:52 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 11:00 BST (UK) »
Snap !  Yes  :)  just checking this out.. However, it guess it means arranging a trip to Glasgow.

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 11:09 BST (UK) »
This might seem a tad lame but would it be possible that the record could be transcribed as 'Donnelly' instead of 'Connelly'?   ::)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello sage
The name I am looking for is Donnelly.  This was tried first as I have had no success finding this name myself using various search methods (ie a fuzzy search) I enlisted help by phoning The National Records of Scotland who have also done a search on this name (and a fuzzy search). This is why it has been suggested I look at potential mis-transcriptions.