Author Topic: Burial with no death certificate  (Read 10125 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial with no death certificate
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:15 BST (UK) »
Could he been involved with the Armed Forces?
And therefore died away from the UK?
   I would have thought that in those days,  military deaths overseas  would have been buried  near to where they fell.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
According to G F Bisset-Smith's Vital Registration (1902), "The practical rule is that all Deaths are registered in the parish or district in which they occurred, irrespective of their residence."

In other words, if a person died away from home, the death was registered in the district where (s)he died. The rules have changed in recent years, since the advent of computers, and you can indeed now register a death in a different district, but in 1898 it was not permissible to register a death anywhere other than in the district where the person died.

So if he died in Glasgow, his death would have had to be registered in Glasgow.

I presume, since you talk of 'letters of administration', that his estate was not dealt with in Scotland.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:30 BST (UK) »
Oh don't I know the feeling... I've got one buried in 1851 with no death certificate. I'm almost positive the burial is mine but no corresponding death whatsoever... Mine was in the Merchant Navy, I can't help but envisage that they got into port and passed him off to the local churchyard. Such a pain.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
When you say he was from Ireland presumably you mean one of the 6 counties which make up the present Northern Ireland?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
There's a death for a John Connelly 1898 County, Lanark, District, Calton (Glasgow)

He is aged 2 but could be an indexing error.....worth a look I think.

Only recently I found a census for someone whereby the age was indexed wrongly.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
Oh don't I know the feeling... I've got one buried in 1851 with no death certificate. I'm almost positive the burial is mine but no corresponding death whatsoever... Mine was in the Merchant Navy, I can't help but envisage that they got into port and passed him off to the local churchyard. Such a pain.

Ayashi,

Difference there, it wasn't law to register in 1851 but it was law here in Scotland as of 1855.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Thanks for all your replies on this.  No, he was not in the Services as far as I know.  I would think it highly, highly unlikely. John was from NI and a tenant farmer so had a small amount of property there.  The letter of admon was registered with the Londonderry Registry in 1900. I also have an exact date of death 15/9/1898. 

I am unclear why John was in Glasgow.  I can place his son there in 1894 (Milton District), so perhaps John went over to live/work/visit. I always assumed his son went there on his own. Always more questions!

Good thought about wrongly being indexed..

Forfarian, thanks for clarifying the registering of a  death in Scotland.  So if the wife has said he died in Glasgow, she must know.

So, next step?? :-[

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 23:14 BST (UK) »
I don't know much about Scottish records, but as you know the exact date of death is there a way to search using the date and a wildcard rather than a name, in case it has been transcribed incorrectly?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 23:27 BST (UK) »
That is a good thought.  I'm like you I just don't know Scottish records v. well or how to manipulate Scotlands People effectively to search. 

Does anyone know if this could be done?