Author Topic: Burial with no death certificate  (Read 10065 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Burial with no death certificate
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
You can only search on SP with yrs not exact dates unfortunately.

Have you looked at the one I mentioned as it's downloadable with 6 credits. 1 credit for the index & 5 credits for the image.

If it turns out to be him you can send a message to SP & your credits would be refunded but £1.15 is not a bad gamble at this stage I would say?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 23:52 BST (UK) »
I don't know much about Scottish records, but as you know the exact date of death is there a way to search using the date and a wildcard rather than a name, in case it has been transcribed incorrectly?

No, because the exact date of the event is not included in the index. The index to deaths includes the surname, given names, year of registration*, age at death, district name and number and serial number. For a married woman, and some other people who have had more than one surname, it also lists the other surnames, and from 1974 onwards it includes the deceased's mother's maiden surname.

*Unless the death occurred in the last few days of December and it wasn't registered until January, the year of registration is the year of death.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

I'll def. check your suggestion tomorrow. I agree it is worth the gamble.  Thanks for suggesting it. I'll let you know what I find.

I wonder if there is a way to see all the indexed deaths for the month of Sept. (or that Quarter) in Glasgow?  I'm thinking no, but maybe someone knows otherwise ?

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Perhaps you, or someone on your behalf, could search the Registers at the Scotlandspeople Hub (Edinburgh) or one of the other locations in Scotland. Providing you can scroll through the Registers, and you have an exact date, it shouldn't be too difficult a job.

Andy

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
There's a death for a John Connelly 1898 County, Lanark, District, Calton (Glasgow)

He is aged 2 but could be an indexing error.....worth a look I think.

Only recently I found a census for someone whereby the age was indexed wrongly.

Annie

Here is part of my reply from SP. The person in question was aged 100 if I remember.

"Thank you for your email.

Many apologies for the index problem you have encountered. Catherine has been indexed as age 1"

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is a way to see all the indexed deaths for the month of Sept. (or that Quarter) in Glasgow?  I'm thinking no, but maybe someone knows otherwise ?

It would be possible but very time-consuming, and very expensive unless you were in the SP Centre. Each of the 20-odd districts in Glasgow has a separate book for every year, so you might need to go through over 20 books to check every death in Glasgow in September 1898. Also it used to be forbidden to browse the books like that. (The Scottish statutory registers are not split up into quarters as they are in England and Wales.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

I'll def. check your suggestion tomorrow. I agree it is worth the gamble.  Thanks for suggesting it. I'll let you know what I find.

I wonder if there is a way to see all the indexed deaths for the month of Sept. (or that Quarter) in Glasgow? I'm thinking no, but maybe someone knows otherwise ?

The answer is no....you can only search by year of death.

Annie

Added.......to include Forfarians reply (on SP site you can only search years)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Perhaps you, or someone on your behalf, could search the Registers at the Scotlandspeople Hub (Edinburgh) or one of the other locations in Scotland. Providing you can scroll through the Registers, and you have an exact date, it shouldn't be too difficult a job.

Andy

I take it Andy, you have never been to Register House?

That would be quite time consuming & as it costs quite a bit for a comp for a day it would be a big ask to be honest.

Annie

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 00:22 BST (UK) »

Hi

Andy

I take it Andy, you have never been to Register House?

That would be quite time consuming & as it costs quite a bit for a comp for a day it would be a big ask to be honest.

Annie

No, I haven't been to Register House but I have done a similar type of search looking for a burial. I had the death certificate but did not know which cemetery nor what denomination so searched through 8 or 9 films before success, It is time consuming but if you really need want the information then it is one possible way.

Andy