Author Topic: NRO Lookup - George Ridley  (Read 1756 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NRO Lookup - George Ridley
« on: Wednesday 21 October 15 14:00 BST (UK) »
If anyone is going to the Northumberland Records Office (Woodhorn) and has a few spare moments i would be grateful if they could do a lookup.

Wills in Allendale MSS (Estate records) at Northumberland Records Office.

NRO672/77/4 George Ridley, Gentleman, Beltingham 27 January 1809

NRO672/77/5 George Ridley, Gentleman, Beltingham 15 December 1813

I think both references relate to the same person and I am not sure if these are draft wills or final wills.

I would be interested to know if the wills give George's age, name George's wife or any of his children together with their abode if mentioned eg Tom of the Big House etc

(source of information NDFHS journal April 1994)

Thank you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: NRO Lookup - George Ridley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 23:41 BST (UK) »
It's a pity you didn't post this yesterday - I could have done it today  :-\

If no-one else looks first I will be there again next Wednesday and happy to take a look

Christine

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 15 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you that would be good if you (or anyone else) could
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

First of all, and for future reference, the Allendale records have been re-catalogued and the new reference for the box containing documents relating to George Ridley is NRO 672/A/31/75.

The documents you are interested in are two separate and very different  wills and I’m guessing that he didn’t marry until after the 1809 will was written.

The bequests in 1809 are to –

My Dear Mother Frances Ridley all my personal Estate
Benjamin Russell of South Holme in Yorkshire £500
Francis Treadway of the Island of Jamaica who married my late sister £500
Godsons, John Drew Lister of Kirkby Moorside in Yorkshire and George Auder of Nunnington and to my God daughter _______ Clarke daughter of the Revd. Mr. Clarke of Whitfield in Northumberland £200 apiece
My Natural son Matthew Atkinson £100
My Natural daughter _______ Blackburn £100
My Natural daughter _______ Coulson £100
John Russell brother of the above Benjamin £50
Jane Harland of Nunnington £50
Mrs. Moore of the same place £50
The Poor of the parish of Nunnington 19 guineas
The Poor of the parish of Haltwhistle 19 guineas

Note – none of the girls’ names were given – just a line as I have typed.  His natural children I assume to be under 21 as the will delays the inheritance until they attain age 21.

The 1814 will follows shortly

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 19:55 GMT (UK) »
The two wills are not just different in content but in appearance.  1809 is handwritten on two sides of paper no bigger than a modern A4 whereas 1814 is in large black copperplate script on paper almost the size of a modern A1.

It leaves the bulk of the estate to Isaac Speke of Summerrods and Cambridge University with instructions to invest £1000 for Jane Nicholson, the interest, dividends or proceeds thereof to provide for her maintenance and education until her marriage or death.  Jane Nicholson is the daughter of his brother-in-law John Nicholson, now residing at Summerrods.  If she dies unmarried the money goes back into the estate.  If she marries she inherits the £1000.

There is the same clause in relation to Mary Nicholson, another daughter of John.

If either Jane or Mary marry “in the lifetime of my dear wife Anne Ridley” and Isaac Speke they must have their consent to the marriage or the £1000 would not be paid though they would still benefit from the proceeds of its investment.

His wife gets a lifetime interest and a codicil gives her the contents of his house

Bequests are made to John Nicholson and his wife Elizabeth (referred to as sister-in-law).

Finally £100 to Matthew Ridley “now residing with me at Beltingham”

Probate was granted on this will on 16th February 1814 and that document is attached to the will.

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Nearly forgot!

These wills are all in with papers belonging to Bell, Solicitor, Hexham and I found a letter which caught my interest.

Addressed to Mr. Bell, Manor House, Hexham

2 Feb 1812

Sir,  I am desired by Mr. Kay to request you to forward to me copies of the will of Mr. Ridley’s father and of the settlement made on his marriage to show that Mr. Ridley is not entitled to Dower out of the small estate at Nunnington…………………………

Thomas Saul.

I have no idea who these people are but wonder what George was trying to do  :D

Christine

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

Thank you for looking that up for me I am most grateful.

Sorry I didn't know about the re-referencing of the papers but I have now noted it.

There is a great deal of information there so i will pursue it carefully and see where it takes me.

I am trying to see if there is a connection between that George Ridley and my Matthew Ridley who was buried at Beltingham a little later on but i shall tread carefully as Matthew Ridley is a very common name in that neck of the woods as you no doubt know.

Once again thank you very much for the lookup.

David

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:43 GMT (UK) »
The second George Ridley burial, Haltwhistle Holy Cross, 12 Jan 1814, age 43, George Ridley, Gentleman of Beltingham.

This George Ridley married Anne Sparke, Hexham 8 Sep 1806. George Ridley Esq of Beltingham and Miss Anne Sparke of Summer Rods.

Anne Ridley of Beltingham, burial Haltwhistle Holy Cross, 20 Nov 1828, age 49.

Anne Ridley 12 page will is on the Durham Wills site. Refers to her late husband George and his will bequests. Also refers to her deceased brother Isaac Sparke, the Mansion House at Summer Rods, and the Nicholsons referred to in Georges will.
Leaves £500 to Matthew Ridley "now residing with me at Beltingham", but doesn't say who he is.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 October 15 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you that is a great help. So it may be that there are two George Ridley's accounting for the two 1809 and 1813 wills, as if there is only one why didn't he mentioned his wife in 1809?.

I have found quite a bit on the 1809 George and all the Yorkshire connections and had been looking for a marriage to Anne Nicholson to no avail. I now see why and it also answers the question as to who Isaac Speke (Sparke) is. I'll have a look at the will and marriage now.

Thank you