Author Topic: Alexander C. Lambert, Esq.  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander C. Lambert, Esq.
« on: Wednesday 21 October 15 18:17 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on Alexander C. Lambert, Esq., a respected Wicklow resident and public commentator of the third quarter of the 19th century.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander C. Lambert, Esq.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
There is a man of that name connected with Galway.
http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=638
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gc2/

Haven't found anything Wicklow wise yet, do you have a place in Wicklow and where did you find him?

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
A. C. Lambert is mentioned many times in the Wicklow Newsletter of the early 1870s, always in reference to the issue of land reform and the various Land Bills proposed at that time.  He was a popular and intelligent contributor to the debate.  The following extract, from his pamphlet Hints and Suggestions for the Government, on the Land Act, Public Houses, Home Rule, and Education, is typical of his work:

Lord Derby, in his recent speech on public affairs at Liverpool, when alluding to the Land Act, is reported to have said that - ''The lands have been practically handed over to the peasantry.''  Now in reference to this rather loose remark of his lordship (for such, coming from the lips of a philosophic statesman, it appears to be), I emphatically but respectfully assert, that it is not in his lordship's power to make good by sound argument the truth of this statement.
I firmly maintain before Europe, or indeed the whole world, that the true theory of the land is this: -
(a) The Almighty God is the great head landlord.
(b) The State is the agent of the Almighty, holding the land in trust for the good of the entire community.
(c) The landlord (so called) is the agent of the state, and it is his duty either to cultivate the land in his possession himself, for the good of the public (including his own good), or let it out to others as his agents for this purpose.
(d) The tenant is the agent of the landlord, and the like duty appertains to him as to his 'lord.'
(e) The entire population of any country is entitled to ''the fruits of the earth'' on fair conditions.
It therefore follows that if the landlord and tenant cannot agree between themselves, on terms which shall secure to the country good husbandry, it is the bounden duty of the state, as the superior landlord and the conserver of the public ''good,'' to interfere, by appointing ''state officers'' with ample powers to do substantial justice between both parties, with the view of securing the proper cultivation of the soil.

This, then, is the principle which the government have (partially) acted on, and it cannot be said to be ''practically handing over the lands to the peasantry,'' but, on the contrary, simply doing justice to the peasantry, the landlords, and the public; and I boldly assert that it is the true one, and that not only for Ireland, but also for England, France, Spain, Germany, and every civilized country on the face of the globe.  And I further affirm (speaking most respectfully), that it is not in the power of the eminent statesman alluded to, or any mortal man, to contradict it.

- The Wicklow Newsletter, Saturday, February 10, 1872.

Thanks for the direction you've already provided.  Any further clues would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
The only one I can find is the Mayo/Galway guy he died in 1892 http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014907/005014907_00231.pdf
and gets lots of results by just googling him.
http://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi/documents/11941/page/283520

No idea if he is the same guy though.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
Lots of articles of this nature would have been posted in papers all over Ireland and abroad but doesn't necessarily mean he lived in Wicklow.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 October 15 00:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey, but I know for sure he was a Wicklow man.  Many of the references to him describe him as ''Mr. Lambert, of Wicklow.''  I'm just not sure which Mr Lambert he is, ''James'' or ''Alexander''.  Apart from his surname and county of residence, and that he wrote interesting letters about the subjects of land reform and Home Rule, I know nothing about him.  I am hoping some of your other readers can point me in the right direction.  Cheers.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 October 15 00:45 BST (UK) »
Excellent links, Sinann.  Much obliged.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 October 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey, but I know for sure he was a Wicklow man.  Many of the references to him describe him as ''Mr. Lambert, of Wicklow.''  I'm just not sure which Mr Lambert he is, ''James'' or ''Alexander''.  Apart from his surname and county of residence, and that he wrote interesting letters about the subjects of land reform and Home Rule, I know nothing about him.  I am hoping some of your other readers can point me in the right direction.  Cheers.

Searching Irish wills for 'Lambert' died in Wicklow there are only 3 results (all early 1900s)- Anne, Maria, William.
The Mayo man seems to be Alexander Clendining Lambert, County Treasurer-
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639518169
Likely related-
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639220850
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 October 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I'm presuming this isn't a family tree that you are doing but an interest in the person.

It sounds like you have a lot of articles on him already.

So, is it moreso his exact origins that you are looking into.

If so, did any of the articles mention parentage, marriage, siblings, children.

Any of these might pinpoint his birthplace.

Tara