Author Topic: Court Street, Haddington  (Read 5840 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Court Street, Haddington
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 October 15 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Your Peter held a small property and garden on Court and rented two others.  I'll assume he was the local Gardiner.

This is from the 1855 Valuations, you can download the documents from Scot's People

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

1855 Tenant   TAYLOR PETER GARDEN AND LAND FLORABANK HADDINGTON HADDINGTON BURGH VR37 / 1 / 35
1855 Tenant   TAYLOR PETER LAND FLORABANK HADDINGTON HADDINGTON BURGH VR37 / 1 / 36
1855 Owner   TAYLOR PETER GARDEN COURT STREET HADDINGTON HADDINGTON BURGH VR37 / 1 / 6
1855 Owner   TAYLOR PETER HOUSE UNDER 10 POUND COURT STREET HADDINGTON HADDINGTON BURGH VR37 / 1 / 6

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Mancunian194

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 October 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the valuations pointer. Unfortunately I don't have a ScotlandsPeople account - well I do but no credits on it; it seems an expensive business searching on that site as if you go off on a tangent or just browse it appears you can chew through the credits very quickly.

Regards

Offline Mancunian194

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 October 15 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Don,

Do the local libraries in Scotland give you free access to ScotlandsPeople? English libraries give free access to Ancestry and FindMyPast.

Regards

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 October 15 16:46 GMT (UK) »
It cost 1 Credit for those 4 Valuations entries...that's pretty reasonable. 

There is also a Will for Peter:

62 TAYLOR PETER 11/07/1906 GARDNER, ST MARTIN'S GATE, NUNGATE, HADDINGTON, D. 01/06/1906 AT HADDINGTON, INTESTATE.   HADDINGTON SHERIFF COURT SC40/40/34

This above cost nothing to view the entry however, the original document will cost you 10 Credits.

I guess it depends on what you want, for me I am only interested in obtaining copies of original documents so I use SP. 

To the best of my knowledge Scotland's People is not offered as a free service in any library.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 October 15 19:38 GMT (UK) »
You are right, Don. There is no free access to SP through Libaries in general (such as Ancestry.com offer for example).

Simon, not sure where you are based. If you have a lot to look up, the Edinburgh and Glasgow genealogy centres, for example, let you look up from their terminals all the records on SP that are available, just for the cost of a day hire of a chair and terminal (c. £15 last time I looked).

You are talking to converted here on RC about SP. Lots of topics here on RC about SP and the use of...compared to access elsewhere in the uk  ::)  From Don's info above, looks like you have fairly specific searches that could be done.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 October 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
To the best of my knowledge Scotland's People is not offered as a free service in any library.

Don

That is correct Don although......................

Some libraries & possibly other places have vouchers (or similar) for SP which work out cheaper although I haven't used this system myself.

I may actually send SP an email to ask for a list of where these credits can be purchased.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 October 15 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie  :)

This is a good explanation of the Library discount voucher system - www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/media/4259/aliscustomerinformationwebversion.pdf

Monica

Offline Mancunian194

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I seemed to have diverted this into an SP topic; sorry!

I live near Manchester and am used to free access to archives - Manchester Central Library has really good free access to its archives; you don't need to buy a chair. It's the same at Rochdale; just turn up. And Cheshire libraries have free access to Ancestry.com and Findmypast.com plus others.

From my limited knowledge of SP, it seems that it's costly unless you know precisely what you are after.

But perhaps we can close the SP part of this topic off ...

Regards

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Closed it is, you are in control. You are right, lots of other places to discuss the highs and lows of SP  ::)

Monica  :)