Author Topic: McAlonan Casualties in WW1 from Broxburn Area  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Private 10576 Thomas Baird 1890 - 1916
    • View Profile
McAlonan Casualties in WW1 from Broxburn Area
« on: Friday 23 October 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find a connection between some WW1 casualties by the name of McAlonan from around Broxburn.

I'll start with Agnes McAlonan who married Walter Heeps in Reddingmuirhead in 1914. Agnes had moved from Dalry in Ayrshire where her family settled when they arrived from Ballymena in County Antrim.
Walter Heeps was killed whilst serving with the Scots Guards on 25th January 1915.

Agnes McAlonan had a brother William who was born in Dalry and moved to around Broxburn following the deaths of his parents presumably to be near his sister. He was then employed as a miner in Fauldhouse. William was killed whilst serving with the Royal Field Artillery in 1916. His sister Agnes was his next of kin and her address is then given as Bankside Cottage, California.
Agnes McAlonan also had a nephew James McAlonan , also born in Dalry but enlisted Falkirk. He was killed near Arras in 1917 whilst serving with the Gordon Highlanders.
There is a Thomas McAlonan who died of pneumonia in a military hospital in France in 1917. Various pieces of information lead me to think that Thomas was related to the other McAlonans mentioned above but I cannot prove it. He came from Renfrew but prior to enlisting he was employed by Oakbank Oil Company at Winchburgh although he had married in Paisley in 1912. At the time of his death his widow and two children stayed at Greendykes Road, Broxburn.
If anyone can connect Thomas to the other McAlonans I would be extremely grateful,
Many thanks,
Baird
Rutherglen;Baird/Adair/Ferguson/Reid
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
Glasgow;Donnelly,McSorley,Burns
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
 All;McAlonan and variants 
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat Seaforth Highlanders 1914-16.
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
1/8th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-15
5th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-17
1st. Bat. Scots Guards 1914-15
HMS Biarritz 1915-16
K Class Submarines  K10 and K11

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McAlonan Casualties in WW1 from Broxburn Area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 October 15 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Baird

You obviously have a family group with Agnes and her brother William. Who were their parents and when were they born? Have you got them in earlier censuses?

Any clues on the age of the Thomas McAlonan who died 1917. You mention a marriage for him in 1912. Have you confirmed details on this if this was in Scotland?

Monica  :)

PS: See there is no age mentioned here www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=MCA&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GScntry=7&GSsr=281&GRid=56591610& What is the source for his 1912 marriage?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 15 00:11 BST (UK) »

...He came from Renfrew but prior to enlisting he was employed by Oakbank Oil Company at Winchburgh although he had married in Paisley in 1912. At the time of his death his widow and two children stayed at Greendykes Road, Broxburn.

What is the source for a Renfrew connection? The 1917 death I think shows that Thomas McAlonan as born in Uphall Linlithgow (not that I can see a trace for that so far...).

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 15 00:16 BST (UK) »
Is the Thomas we are talking about, from another recent post here on RC? www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=722352.0

Monica

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 15 10:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Monica . More research required by myself. Looks like there are two Thomas McAlonans.

Hope I attach this photo.
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
1/8th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-15
5th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-17
1st. Bat. Scots Guards 1914-15
HMS Biarritz 1915-16
K Class Submarines  K10 and K11

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
Baird, an idea for research...

The clip you added for Thomas above mentions wife and family of two. There are only two births showing between 1900-17 in Uphall (reg district as you know).

Joseph b. 1915
Martha b. 1916

I wondered whether these could be Thomas' children?

Monica

PS On the off chance, checked here for any mention of the surname McAlonan but nothing showing unfortunately www.scottishshale.co.uk/Genealogy/Search/searchG.php

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 October 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
Should remember to re-read the links - sorry!

These children are the ones that Mags mentioned on the other thread:

Thomas and Elizabeth married on 3 December 1913 at Ballymena. They had three children in West Lothian, Scotland. Elizabeth b1914 at Kirkliston, Joseph b1915 Broxburn, Martha b 1916 Broxburn. Children all died under 3 years.

Elizabeth who married Thomas was born 1896 Broxburn, West Lothian, and was the daughter of Jacob and Sarah McConnell. Jacob and Sarah were born Ireland and are on 1891 and 1901 census at Broxburn. Elizabeth must have gone back to Ballymena to marry. Both she and her parents are buried in Uphall Cemetery, West Lothian.

Thomas served as 2609, Cameronians(Scottish Rifles) during WW1. He died from pneumonia in France on 12 January 1917.

Is anyone related to Thomas McAlonan? Although "Soldiers Died in Great War" shows him as being born in Uphall, West Lothian, I can find no trace. By the way, I live in Broxburn and am part of the local history group researching the men who died in WW1.

Why do you mention two possible Thomas McAlonans? Do you think Agnes and William had a brother, relative, called Thomas too?

Monica

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 October 15 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica ,
                      still struggling with this Thomas McAlonan and Thomas McIlonan  trying to attach him to my wifes' McAlonans.
There were not two Thomas McAlonans , the one I have from Paisley was Thomas McIlonan but family also from Ballymena. Thomas McIlonan died in Renfrew in 1949 . My mis-translation.
 There was also a David McAloney from Paisley killed in WW1 .
I cannot fathom the Ballymena to Paisley/Renfrew link if they were not related . They even lived in the same street in Renfrew (High Street). I'll get back to the Broxburn contact now with a photo of Thomas McAlonans' grave in France . We put a poppy there a few years back.
Thanks for your help.
Baird
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.