Author Topic: sickhouse keeper  (Read 1047 times)

Offline GrannyBell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sickhouse keeper
« on: Saturday 24 October 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone please confirm or set me correctly on what Ive been thinking. My 3xgreat grandmother is listed as a sickhouse keeper in 1901.Was a sickhouse the same as a poorhouse?  (Am in Scotland so hence use of poorhouse and not workhouse) Any advice would be greatfully received. (Also this was a cottage rather than a large house/building)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: sickhouse keeper
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi GrannyBell

Maybe something like what is defined here? www.workhouses.org.uk/Scotland/AlmshousesScotland.shtml

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrannyBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you MonicaL  :)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
Think it was a facility run by a Parish Council for minor ailments of typically homeless persons while the Poor house hospital would be for more serious "nursing" cases
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline GrannyBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
Think it was a facility run by a Parish Council for minor ailments of typically homeless persons while the Poor house hospital would be for more serious "nursing" cases

Thank you for that, that would make more sense, as it was only a small cottage probably with just 2 rooms. Locally they have it as a poorhouse. I presume the sickhouse keeper was given this 'position' by the local parish church? (She had 2 children with her Aged 20 and 22 at the time of census)