Author Topic: Thomas JACOB New Ross, 1850 - manslaughter  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Thomas JACOB New Ross, 1850 - manslaughter
« on: Saturday 24 October 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have no experience of Irish research beyond the 1901 census but am looking at my nephew's paternal line and have found a prison record on FamilySearch for what might be his 4xG Grandfather.  Certainly the name and area is correct.

Thomas JACOB - New Ross, Wexford, 1850, prisoner, manslaughter  :'(

I have tried looking for more information e.g. his age, occupation, the victim etc.  The British Newspaper Archive doesn't appear to have anything about it, nor does Ireland Old News and I have tried Google but am not sure where else accounts of such a crime might appear.  Presumably as it was manslaughter he was unlikely to have received the death penalty?  There is a possible death for "our" Thomas in 1864.

Thank you,

Liz  :)

PS I have not put this in Wexford because it is more a general plea for advice about Irish research - but moderators, please move it if appropriate.  Thank you
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas JACOB New Ross, 1850 - manslaughter
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 15 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have no experience of Irish research beyond the 1901 census but am looking at my nephew's paternal line and have found a prison record on FamilySearch for what might be his 4xG Grandfather.  Certainly the name and area is correct.

Thomas JACOB - New Ross, Wexford, 1850, prisoner, manslaughter  :'(

I have tried looking for more information e.g. his age, occupation, the victim etc.  The British Newspaper Archive doesn't appear to have anything about it, nor does Ireland Old News and I have tried Google but am not sure where else accounts of such a crime might appear.  Presumably as it was manslaughter he was unlikely to have received the death penalty?  There is a possible death for "our" Thomas in 1864.

Thank you,

Liz  :)

PS I have not put this in Wexford because it is more a general plea for advice about Irish research - but moderators, please move it if appropriate.  Thank you

Just FYI...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
The family of Jacob originated in Somerset, migrating to Ireland about 1764, and settling first in Cork, then in Waterford, intermarrying with many of the well known Irish Quaker families of Munster. Most of the following series of letters passed between the family of Thomas Strangman Jacob of Waterford and that of John Lecky of Cork, whose wife was a sister to Thomas S. Jacob.

S.J. JACOB FAMILY LETTERS Folders (i) 1675 - 1722 (25 letters I - 25) (2) 1772 - 1778 (25 letters 26—50) (3) 1785 - *79° (25 letters 51—75)

HISTORICAL LIBRARY AT 6 EUSTACE STREET, DUBLIN

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
 ;D Looks like an excuse to visit Dublin!  I hadn't realised they came form Somerset - not sure how my nephew will feel about being a little bit less Irish!  I spotted a Quaker burial earlier on which is very interesting as we have lots of Quaker ancestors in our family too. 

This is a big learning curve for me! 

Thanks for your help,

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
;D Looks like an excuse to visit Dublin!  I hadn't realised they came form Somerset - not sure how my nephew will feel about being a little bit less Irish!  I spotted a Quaker burial earlier on which is very interesting as we have lots of Quaker ancestors in our family too. 

Thanks for your help,

Liz

No shopping of course!!

Certainly is a Quaker name...

If you are Googling, better off trying the Google for Ireland, better results!!

www.google.ie   which is where I found those in a few seconds, plenty more there!!

I just googled... "thomas jacob", new ross but other keywords worth trying!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 October 15 21:14 BST (UK) »

Thanks for your help,

Liz

Just make sure it is correct family!!

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 October 15 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  Yes, I should have thought about Google.ie - no wonder I was struggling.  There's lots here to keep me busy for a very long time!

Liz  :o
Research interests: