Author Topic: (Stepehn) Claude Hamilton McGuire burial?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
(Stepehn) Claude Hamilton McGuire burial?
« on: Sunday 25 October 15 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again to the very helpful people on the Canada board,
Some time ago, I was given a lot of help in finding information about my great grandfather who emigrated to Saskatchewan. Now I am trying to find where he is buried.
He rarely/almost never used his first name of Stephen, but I thought I should include it just in case. Claude lived in and around Bracken most of his Canadian life, and died 10 May 1948 at Bracken, according to a newspaper notice here in South Australia. I have searched through the links on the Resources pages, and have not find him or his wife, Ella, who survived him.
Can someone with more knowledge of where to look help me to find his burial place?
Thank you in advance.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: (Stepehn) Claude Hamilton McGuire burial?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 October 15 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society ? or the local library which might offer the help you need ?

http://www.saskgenealogy.com/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 October 15 10:26 GMT (UK) »
There were a couple of McGuire but nothing listed for Claude or Ella on Saskatchewan Cemeteries Project for Bracken Cemetery.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansacem/bracken.html

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 15 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Maple Creek Saskatchewan 1921 - there does'nt appear to be any children with them.

Claud H Mc Guire  40 Born Australia. Imm 1901. Rancher.
Ella Mc Guire  35
Ray Rodman  31

Not sure if these 2 entries could be possible for Ella  ??? Canada Voters List - 1945 - Ella Maguire - Sub 10 Saskatoon - Chicken Ranch.

Canada Voters List 1953 - Saskatchewan Cres West shows a Mr Ella Maguire -

Sandra

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 October 15 03:26 GMT (UK) »
There were a couple of McGuire but nothing listed for Claude or Ella on Saskatchewan Cemeteries Project for Bracken Cemetery.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansacem/bracken.html

Sandra

One of the names listed was Louis Boyd McGuire. On a 1936 border crossing document, Louis was listed on the same document as Claude. A note on the card indicated Louis was Claude's adopted son.

If you are interested in the adopted son, the Saskatchewan, Canada, Gazette Changes of Name, 1917-1950 indicates he applied to change his name from Louis Boyd Felardeau to Louis Boyd McGuire on 30 Apr 1946. His location was listed as Bracken, Saskatchewan.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 October 15 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra and Jacquie for your assistance.
 Sorry, I probably should have given more details, but I didn't want to muddy the waters in regards to finding Claude's burial place. Yes, Ella was his wife, born in the USA; until proven otherwise, I assume that the man Claude was visiting in 1936 was some sort of relative of Ella's. They didn't have any children of their own, apart from Louis. From what I have read, the Felardeau's were a large family, and Claude and Ella must have taken Louis in to help out initially. I have Louis' obituary, but it doesn't mention Claude or Ella at all.
I may have to contact the Genealogy Society after all.
Two further questions: what if he was cremated?; and are there any Catholic cemeteries not transcribed?

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 15 10:00 GMT (UK) »
How Claude ended up in Canada is an interesting story. As a young farm hand in South Australia, he signed up for the Boer War in 1901, with the 5th South Australian Imperial Bushmen. Very badly wounded at Reitz, he was even listed in the official dead! After being told he needed a change of climate, he chose to emigrate to Canada. Not having married my great grandmother, I will never know if he knew of the birth of a daughter, shortly before he left for South Africa.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/47596122
A humorous account of Claude's "death".

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 October 15 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Enter 49.411240, -108.011186 as the search address on whichever map app you use.  This will take you to Section 30 Township 5 Range 15 3W which is the location of the McGuire farm.  If you zoom out from this spot you will see that it was, and still is very isolated.  In satellite view you can see a trail heading NE which leads to the ghost town of Frenchville about 10.5 miles away as the crow flies.  The trail heading SW leads to Bracken about 17 miles away.  The town of Val Marie 17 miles to the SE of the farm is where the McGuires would have gone to pay their taxes at the municipal office.

St Josephs church at Frenchville has a cemetery with 44 burials recorded, maybe somebody on this site has access to transcriptions.