Author Topic: Daniel Barrow of Birmingham  (Read 2048 times)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Barrow of Birmingham
« on: Monday 26 October 15 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Please, I am looking for Daniel & Elizabeth Greaves Barrow
on the 1871 census, any census after that (if they are not
already dead), and for their death information.  They should
be living in the Birmingham area, but I can't find them, though
I have found some of their children. 

Daniel Barrow, b. 23 Sep 1835, Birmingham
md.8 Dec 1845, Birmingham St. Martin
Elizabeth Greaves, b.10 Jul 1824, Birmingham
children:
Isaac Barrow (1849 – 1924)
Daniel Barrow (1851 – 1911)
Elizabeth Barrow (1852 – 1924)
Mary Ann Barrow (1855 – 1931)
Emma Louisa Barrow (1856 –    )
Reuben James Barrow (1858 – ? 1892)
Joseph Barrow (1860 – 1940)
Sarah Harriet Barrow (1861 – 1932)
James Barrow (1862 – 1864)
Ellen Barrows (1863 – 1865)
Ellen Maria Barrow (1867 –    )

According to family records their son Reuben died 11 May 1892, but I can't find
him on the death index.  The family records give his birth 27 Sep 1857,
Birmingham (but he appears to have been born in Sep 1858 instead).
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Barrow of Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 October 15 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Marriages Jun 1885 Barrow    Ellen Maria        Lexden   [ 4a   613]
to either >

Faiers,    Alfred Ernest       or            RULE,    John

==
Deaths Sep 1921   Barrow,    Daniel   age 90    Mt.Drayton   [ 6a   705 ]   ???

anyone check Borrow or phonetic???

==

need a probate on mother to find....   too many variables or need to track census some more

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 October 15 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Ellen Maria Barrow appears to have married George Frederick Jones 01 Oct 1892 in Aston Parish, father listed as Daniel.

George & Ellen are in the Handsworth area in 1901 but no sign of Ellen's parents
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 October 15 13:42 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Emma Louisa Barrow to Joseph William Smith is interesting (5 Aug 1893, Aston).

Witnesses are George Frederick Jones (Ellen's husband) and Sarah Harriet Barrow (Emma & Ellen's sister), but Emma gives her fathers name as Isaac Barrow, Gunmaker
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 October 15 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help fastfusion and Jomot.  I believe Jomot found the right marriage for Ellen Maria Barrow as it list Daniel as her father. 

That is interesting.  Could Emma Louisa Barrow, who married Joseph William Smith, be Daniel Barrow's daughter even though she is listed as Isaac's daughter?  Daniel Barrow had a brother Isaac and a son Isaac, so maybe there was some confusion or this could be Daniel's niece.   I really think she is Daniel's daughter.  Her age on her marriage matches perfect with Daniel's daughter Emma Louisa Barrow. 

I lost track of Emma Louisa Barrow after her marriage to Joseph William Smith.  I also lost track of the oldest son John William Barrow, after his marriage to Maria Hodgetts 23 Sep 1867, Birmingham St. Peter.

I am leaning toward the idea that Daniel & Elizabeth Barrow died sometime between 1867-1871 or 1881.
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 October 15 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you, thank you, for the information on the children.  It just helped solve part of the mystery.  I just found Elizabeth Barrow (indexed as Elizabeth Barras) on the 1891 census (listed as married) living in Aston with George F. Jones as her lodger.  Going along with that I think this just might be Elizabeth Barrow: died Jul-Sep 1897, West Bromwich district, age 73, and a burial 5 Aug 1897, in Aston St. Peter and St. Paul, age 73.

I wonder where she was on the 1881 and 1871 census?  Where is Daniel?  Thanks for the 1921 death possibility.  My assumptions about when they died were wrong, so I will keep this one in mind.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 15 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Glad it was of some help.  Very puzzling that the others just seem to vanish into thin air though until the girls pop up again to get married  ???

It occurred to me that maybe something had happened with the gun trade, and looking at the newspapers and other online information it looks as though the industry was certainly in decline.

An article in the Birmingham Journal, 28 October 1865 talks about the Association of Gun Finishers calling strikes, which the employers said were unreasonable as since the American War guns that had previously sold for 70s were now only obtaining 30s, with wages dropping in line from 3s 6d to 1s 6d.  The choices were therefore to accept lower wages or let the work go to Belgium where very good guns were made.

The Bradford Daily Telegraph (and others) 8 April 1869 reported that things had got even worse due to "the depression in the trade caused by the Government factory at Enfield" which had been established the previous year.

Perry's Bankrupt Gazette also shows a lot of bankruptcies around this time for both firms and individuals.

Could Daniel have gone abroad to work perhaps?  I certainly cant find any sign of him in the UK census or BMD, or in Scotland.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Excellent thoughts, I will broaden my search.  Thanks again for all the help on locating my ancestor's sister and her family.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 April 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jomot for your information about the gun trade, etc.! I think I found him and his son in South Africa.