Author Topic: michael kelly 1906  (Read 977 times)

Offline zander

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
michael kelly 1906
« on: Tuesday 27 October 15 15:32 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone,
i am trying to find anything on a great uncle named above, he was born 27 aug 1906 in co.antrim n.ireland !i have found a michael kelly born same date died 9 july 1989 on find a grave site and it says he served during ww2,i can not confirm if this is my michael as i can not get any info on service papers or where to get them!not 100% sure when he moved to the us but seems to be around the 1923-1929 i think,
is there any way of making sure i have found the correct michael,born dunloy co.antrim
many thanks zander
brennan  co.antrim/scotland
kelly        dunloy
aitcheson co.antrim
mccook     armoy co.antrim
mcfall       co.londonderry
murphy    kilrea

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: michael kelly 1906
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 16:35 GMT (UK) »
The Social Security Death Index for that Michael Kelly indicates his last residence was Brooklyn, New York and his Social Security number was issued in New York before 1951. 

The VA death file indicates he was in the Army from 29 Aug. 1942 to 13 Dec. 1945.  In the US Army enlistment records, there is a Michael J. Kelly born Irish Free State in 1906, residing in Bronx, New York, and enlisted on 9 Jul. 1942.  He was 68 inches tall and 152 pounds, single, grammar school education, and occupation in the category of Motormen, street, subway, and elevated railway.

Service records are not available online.  They must be ordered for a fee, and I'm not sure if it's limited to direct relations.

Offline zander

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 16:46 GMT (UK) »
many thanks shellyesq
i know there is not much information to go on there,and it makes the job all that much harder,
cant even confirm when he arrived in the us,so really just pushing my luck abit,
though the one with the same birth date is a good starting point,
many thanks
zander
kelly        dunloy
aitcheson co.antrim
murphy    kilrea

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 17:52 GMT (UK) »
This 1930 passenger list has a Michael Kelly who was born Dunloy:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gd8/  His father's name was Thomas, and he was going to join a brother James in Brooklyn.  Could that be him?

Offline zander

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 18:40 GMT (UK) »
hi shellyesq,
fantastic,that is the correct person i was after,makes more sense now cause his brother had arrived in 1927,wasn't sure who had arrived first so that puts that to bed,don't know anything else about michael so thats why i'm hoping that the soldier was him,live in hope
again many thanks for your help
years of knowing nothing and 10 mins with you i'm almost sorted
thanks zander
kelly        dunloy
aitcheson co.antrim
murphy    kilrea

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 20:01 GMT (UK) »
This looks like it might be brother James on the 1930 census - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X4LJ-RW2  The passenger list gave an address of 303 10th Street, Brooklyn for him and this census record was for 300 10th Street.

The census date in 1930 was April 1st, so Michael would have missed it by a matter of days.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 00:52 GMT (UK) »
On the New York City marriage index, there is an entry for James Kelly and Beatrice Reilly who married on 26 Jan. 1930 in Kings County (which is Brooklyn), New York.  As the census entry has James and Beatrice's age at 1st marriage at the same age they were at the time of the census, this might be them.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 05:22 GMT (UK) »
No help really, but could this be him in 1940?
1940 Bronx, New York census
Michael Kelly, single, age 34, born Ireland, resided in the same residence in 1935, Motorman, Electric Railroad
Lodger: Richard Noone, single, age 42, born Ireland, Elevator Operator, Hotel
Address:  3750 Park Avenue
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline zander

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 18:32 GMT (UK) »
hi everyone,
thanks for your time!i had james married to a beatrice so that sounds like him ok and found him on the 1930 census with beatrice then on 1940 census with 3 children,happy days :)
as for michael it looks like that could be him alright,which again leads to the soldier of the same birth date as i think that was the same job title,
zander
kelly        dunloy
aitcheson co.antrim
murphy    kilrea