Author Topic: David White & his wife, Jane Amelia  (Read 1983 times)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David White & his wife, Jane Amelia
« on: Tuesday 27 October 15 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can anybody find these people prior to 1891?

David White born c1852 (in 1891 he was living with his wife and children in Jarrow, near South Shields, and gave his place of birth as Glasgow).
Jane Amelia White, born c1853 in Glasgow (in 1891 she gives her name as 'Amelia' and in 1901 as 'Jane A'

By 1891 they had two children; John White, aged 16 years, birth place - Glasgow, and Ernest White, aged 14 years, birth place - Glasgow.
David was employed as an engine fitter.

By 1901, they had a daughter, Jane Amelia, born in South Shields on the 30th April 1893, and were still living in the area, within the civil parish of Jarrow.

David White died in South Shields during the March quarter of 1905; he was 54 years old.
I can't find his wife's death, but by 1911, their daughter, Jane Amelia, was in St Stephen's Orphanage, Yorkshire, where she was 'training for domestic service.'
She married Frederick Cornell in South Shields on the 26th July 1917.

Can anyone find David and his wife prior to 1891 or can provide any more information about them?

Thanks

Sue

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: David White & his wife, Jane Amelia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm.

You'd expect to be able to find their marriage and the birth of Ernest on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

However I can't see a marriage of a David Wh*te to a J*n*m*l*, and I can't see a birth of an Ernest or Earnest White or Whyte between 1875 and 1880.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue and Forfarian

Sue, have you managed to confirm Jane Amelia's maiden name from one of the children's birth certs?

Added: From what you have so far mentioned, this looks a possible birth entry for Jane Amelia here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYS9-N43

Monica  :)

PS: There is this 1901 entry for a Jane A Warrington b. Glasgow 1853 so maybe the entry above is not relevant at all really  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue, I wonder if this census entry may relate to your Jane A.

1861 census:
10 Warroch St., Anderston, Glasgow

Ernest Henderson  age:41  born: Kilmarnock, Ayr
Catherine Henderson  age:41  born: Ayr
Jane Henderson  age:11  born: Kilmarnock, Ayr
James Henderson  age:10  born: Glasgow
Matthew Henderson  age:6  born: Glasgow
Catherine Henderson  age:3  born: Lanark

1871 census:
31 George St., Calton, Glasgow

James Henderson  age:51  born: Kilmarnock, Ayr
Catherine Henderson  age:51  born: Kilmarnock, Ayr
James Henderson  age:19  born: Glasgow
Matthew Henderson  age:16  born: Glasgow

I am thinking they used Scottish naming patterns especially as the name Ernest is a very rare forename. John may be the name of David's father
Do you know of any siblings to either Jane A. or David as I found 2 census entries in 1861 which may be David and his parents, but need more to tie them to David.

I found this marriage but without more info on it cannot confirm for definite if this is them;
David Whyte
married
Jane Henderson Nicholson
on 26 June 1866
in Edinburgh
* Jane may have been married before

Problem is that prior to 1855 it was not compulsory to register life events which is why you may not be able to find certs. If you have any other information let me know and I will look further. Kim

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Sadly, I don't have anymore information regarding David White or his wife, Jane, other than what I have all ready said.

It's all abit of a mystery!

Thanks

Sue

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have just found Jane Amelia as 'Amelia White' in 1911.

She was an inmate within the South Shields Workhouse and gave her date of birth as 1852, and her place of birth as 'Lanark' Glasgow

She died in South Shields during the June quarter of 1915, as Amelia White.

Sue

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 13:33 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census records at 1 Bridge Street, Jarrow
David White, 45, driller in shipyard, born Scotland
Jane A White, wife, 35, born Durham, Tyne ?Dock
Florence White, daughter, 11, born Jarrow
Lilian White, daughter, 9, born Jarrow

There is also a family at 71 Salem Street, Jarrow, consisting of
David White, 49, engine fitter, born Ireland
Jane A White, wife, 48, born Scotland
Jane White, daughter, 7, born Jarrow

So perhaps you are looking in the wrong place for David White?

What you must do if you want to get any further with this is buy a copy of the birth certificate of Jane Amelia White, and see what it says her mother's maiden name is. Without this information you will never make any meaningful progress, because you will be risking muddling up two couples with similar names.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Whilst I totally agree with you that buying Jane Amelia's birth certificate would confirm detail of her parent's once and for all, I do believe that the families I have earmarked in 1891 and 1901 are the right ones.

David White and Amelia White in 1891 have exactly the same year's of birth as the 1901 couple.
David has the same occupation - engine fitter
Their daughter, Jane Amelia, has the perfect combination of her mother's name, Jane Amelia (I know I'm assuming that Jane A in 1901 is Jane Amelia).
The only discrepancy is David's place of birth (Scotland/Ireland).

I have found a David White on the Scottish 188 census - David White born 1851 in England! However, living in Glasgow, occupation - engine fitter.

The mystery deepens!

Sue

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »

I have found a David White on the Scottish 188 census - David White born 1851 in England! However, living in Glasgow, occupation - engine fitter.

The mystery deepens!

Sue, I saw this too. All a bit confusing for you so far. I think you do have young Jane Amelia b. 1893's family. Guessing you may have her marriage registration that would have helped you work back to her parents?

As Forfarian mentions above, getting that 1893 birth registration for daughter Jane Amelia could well help you further now in confirming her mother's maiden name.

Guessing you don't have anything further so far on brothers John and Ernest so far given they don't show on that 1901 census entry.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk