Author Topic: Too old for knocking brick walls down so am trying to get round, under or over .  (Read 7105 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Too old for knocking brick walls down so am trying to get round, under or over .
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Appears to be one child of the Wilson/Blackburn marriage born 1919

I would imagine James Wilson was in WW1, but I cant spot any records (presumably his was one of the many that haven't survived) - was hoping to find it and see what it said about his wife's name and the marriage date etc.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Too old for knocking brick walls down so am trying to get round, under or over .
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I would imagine James Wilson was in WW1, but I cant spot any records (presumably his was one of the many that haven't survived)

Not necessarily, Liz. As a skilled worker in a shipyard, I expect that he was immune to call-up (wasn't there a category labelled "protected occupations"?) and so valuable to the war effort where he was as to be discouraged from volunteering.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 20:49 GMT (UK) »
You could well be right. I hadnt thought beyond 'married in 1914 but child not born till 1919, therefore probably away for 1914-1918!'
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 30 October 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
He may well have been in a protected occupation, but working overseas in any case e.g. Gibraltar etc. maintaining and repairing warships.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 30 October 15 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Redroger

Yes that might be a good possible, but how to find that one, hope head and brick wall have both recovered, and love the photo of Dad and his fireman - sorry youngsters but you just couldn't beat 'Steam' for reliability, spent some time  on steam colliers on N.E. coast.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 November 15 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Here is a link to a Local Studies guide on Elec registers for Tynemouth :  http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/pls/portal/NTC_PSCM.PSCM_Web.download?p_ID=555111

If you email them, they may do a quick lookup for you :)

Trini.
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 November 15 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Bless you Trini

Were the 'Leggs' any use ?

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 November 15 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Wife's initials  ( as next of kin on Declaration of passengers for S.S.Columbia) where  M.S.H.

I haven't read all the posts but was the surname Wilson given after the initials M S H ?

If not, then is it possible the "H" is meant to be a "W" ?

I know my capital "H" can look like a "W" at times when writing in a hurry as my middle stroke in the middle of the "H" is rounded rather than a straight line?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 November 15 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie

Yes the Wilson is directly after the 'H', he (the interviewer) has also written 'wife' and 'Walker' and all 'W's are exactly the same,  and not at all like the 'H'.
James has signed the form and his 'W' is different again, but nothing like the 'H'.

Best

John