Author Topic: Wandering Wades  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Robintow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wandering Wades
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry - a typo - the
'China' arrived 14/12/1847.

I've now worked out how to correct this in the original!

Offline Robintow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Typo - sorry - The 'China' arrived SA 14/12/1847

Offline jestina_d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 August 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Robintow,

I have not been "Wade-ing" for some time, so it had taken a bit of effort the get my brain back into gear about them.

John Plummer Wade, was born abt 1822 and baptised on 22 September 1822 at Shenley, Hertford, England.  He was brother to Sarah Wade and half-brother to Ann Peacock/Wade.  He arrived in South Australia 21 March 1839 aboard "Katherine Stewart Forbes" (Source: State Library of South Australia, Pioneers and Settlers Bound For South Australia, Katherine Stewart Forbes 1839 — http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1839KatherineStewartForbes.htm)

John married in SA in September 1847 (Source: Genealogy SA: South Australian Online Databases, Marriages, Book/Page: 8/71), so Sarah would have not only had a brother but also a sister-in-law waiting for her if it is she who arrived aboard the "China" in December 1949.  I have been able to confirm that a Sarah Wade did indeed arrive aboard the "China" — http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/48543518?searchTerm=arrival%20china&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||requestHandler|||dateFrom=1847-12-01|||dateTo=1848-01-31|||l-advstate=South+Australia|||l-advcategory=Article|||sortby 

The age of the bride, Sarah Ann Wade, who married Robert Lock on 27 May 1850 at Christ Church, Adelaide (Source: Genealogy SA: South Australian Online Databases, Marriages, Book/Page: 6/96), is certainly near enough to match that of 13-year-old Sarah Wade on the 1841 census.  However, no father's name on the marriage record ...  It looks likely, but how to prove it?  ???

I have found the baptism record on FamilySearch for Ann Peacock, daughter of Mary Peacock, baptised at Shenley, Hertfordshire, on 3 October 1819 (also on FindMyPast).

The SLSA site, "Bound for South Australia" — http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/ShipLists%20Alpha%20by%20Year/1838T-Z.htm — shows that an Ann Wade arrived in SA aboard the "Trusty" on 15 May 1838, but also that she was accompanied by a Mary Ann Wade and a Robert Wade.  Unfortunately the site gives no other details, such as age or county of origin for any of these three.

I have had no success in hunting for the marriage record for Ann Peacock and John Patrick Mahoney — am I just not seeing it, or was she married in a different colony?  Can you tell me the sources for your information about her, please? 

Cheers,
Jestina      

Offline Robintow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 August 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jestina
Thanks for your reply - each bit of info helps to complete the jigsaw.

Ann Peacock and John Patrick Mahoney were married in June 1839 in Holy Trinity Church Adelaide.  The State Library was able to source and copy the certificate for me. Formal records were not kept in SA until 1842.

Hope that helps.  I'll forward further info when next on my computer.
Cheers - Robin

Offline Robintow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 August 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jestina
It seems that Ann Peacock used both Peacock (her mother was Mary Peacock) and Wade surnames. She subsequently married a Joseph Petney and then a William Edwards. She is buried in Truro cemetery as 'Ann Edwards - wife of William'.

I do not have the references with me but there is some info on the British Geneaology site re - 'Ann Peacock' - also 'Mobbs'.

The other info should be reasonably easy to confirm.
Regards - Robin

Offline jestina_d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 August 17 03:10 BST (UK) »
It does seem that people used to have a much less fixed idea about their names than we do now, so it is no surprise that Ann would use her birth surname and her stepfather's surname in a way that seems pretty random to us.  On one branch of my tree we had the same situation, with the mother's surname on the birth records more or less alternating between Duncan and Sturm.  It was only by going back a generation that we found one was her birth name and the other was her stepfather's.

Are you descended from Ann?

I look forward to hearing more from you when you are able.

Cheers,
Jestina

Offline Robintow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 August 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jestina
Yes - I am descended from Ann Peacock.  Her daughter Ellen May Mahoney m Owen Mobbs - I am a descendent and live in SA.

From whom are you descended?

Cheers - Robin

Offline jestina_d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 August 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin,

I am not actually a member of the Wade family -- I have been undertaking this research for my cousins.  My aunt married Bert Wade, so he was my uncle by marriage.  He was the youngest child of Robert Allen Wade, who was the son of William Wade, the fifth child of William Wade and Mary Peacock.

Cheers,
Jestina

Offline Robintow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 August 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
Interesting - hope you can assist them.  So was this the Robert Wade who came out with Ann Wade / Peacock on the Trusty? And was he married to the Mary Ann Wade also on the Trusty - or was she a Wade relative?
The Wade name does come up I recall at Truro.

Regards, Robin