Author Topic: William Hood born Cunnagal? Yorkshire c1780 (in 1851 Census of Pontop Colliery)  (Read 4018 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Been looking at the birthplaces of every (surviving) Hood in 1851 Census, born Yorkshire in 1782 +/- 5 years.

Any idea where Cunnagal [sic] (or Cunnayal) Yorkshire is, please?

Census Place Colliery Pontop [Pontop Colliery]
Colliery Dykes
William Hood, Marr. 71 yrs. Groom, Born Yorkshire Cunnagal
Catherine Hood, Marr. 55 yrs.           Born Newcastle All Saints.

As well as the location of Cunnagal, I am interested in the place of their marriage too, please?

Thanks, Mark

EDIT: wondering if 'Cunnagal' was the old local pronunciation for Cundall?
In Warwickshire Ebrington was still pronounced Yubberton by some locals.

But are there any Hood birth/baptisms in the Cundall Register circa 1780, please?

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: William Hood born Cunnagal? Yorkshire c1780 (in 1851 Census of Pontop Colliery)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Maybe Gammergill or Gomersal
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Hood born Cunnagal? Yorkshire c1780 (in 1851 Census of Pontop Colliery)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Maybe Gammergill or Gomersal

Thanks for the suggestions dobfarm

That gives me three possibles, along with Cundall, we'll know which one it is hopefully, if we find Hood/s born at one of them circa 1780.

I noticed two Will listings for someone else (surname Dawson 1539 & 1584) for Gammergill in Coverdale, on the net.

I have found a Gammersgill in the area of Coverdale and contacted a lady apparently interested in local history and people who lived there, so I'll let you about any Hoods (if any) born there, circa 1780.

According to my general OS Place names on maps of England and Wales, 1973. The 'gal' could be 'gall' meaning stranger or lowlander and also 'gil' means ravine, water-course occurs in Gillabol (Sutherland).

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 15 19:24 GMT (UK) »
First wilh all these maps, keep clicking on maps for largest view, some you'll need to down click image to select sections of a map to enlarge.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=14&lat=53.5932&lon=-1.4686&layers=39&point=0,0

On link above, on pink modern map (can zoom in/out) and click a selected square.

On the selected square a right menu will appear with different years.

(Keep clicking around to get an idea of pages on the website as can always start again)

~~~~~~~~------------------

Genuki  website- select a town at random

ie:-  example-Genuki Halifax in google search

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Halifax/

on the page a list of suburbs and villages are listed

next scroll down the page to a map (Don't use this map)
under the map you'll see two sub links

This parish map

and Yorkshire parish map (Click on maps to enlarge)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 15 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks dobfarm for maps and instructions.

Just received this from Marion

"My first instinct is that it was possibly Carnagill. Carnagill has now been completely swallowed up with the very modern Catterick Garrison, but prior to the 1920s when The Camp was built, it was a place, and survives now in the name of a Junior school on the Garrison.

IF this person was from Carnagill, then their records should be in Hipswell  or possible Catterick Village parish records.

I have checked and I do not have any Hood baptisms circa the 1780s.

If you think this is wrong, then there is a place called Gammersgill in Coverdale, but I have no evidence of a family called Hood living there."

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 October 15 21:04 GMT (UK) »
The suggestion by Marion and a search of TNA Discovery, indicates that there was a place called Carnagill Yorkshire.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3923576

Kind regards, Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 October 15 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Good evening gents!

No births on line around 1782 +/- 10 yrs in Cundall/Hispworth/Catterick on FindMyPast/Ancestry/Family Search/Hugh Wallis. 

Mark - do you use Hugh Wallis? 

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyYorkshire_(A-D).htm#C
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 October 15 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Goughy

No never knew of the Hugh Wallis information. Thanks for that.

I have all the 1992 Yorkshire IGI fiche for surname Hood, photocopied onto 21 sheets, making 42 fiche blocks of Hood names.

However, I know for the town where I live, that when you look on family search or fiche, sadly they have missed names, which are actually in the filmed Register.

Some of our Parish Registers (on m/film) did not use separate printed Volumes (when other Parishes started using printed volumes), but ours, are more like plain volumes with three columns drawn in ink headed - Bap; Marr; Bur; with day number and name adjacent in the appropriate column. The reader then goes back and forward in the pages to see where the month and year changed, to get the month and the year.

I don't know how anyone can trace some families without consulting the films of all the actual Registers and some local historical and geographical knowledge.

I live in a former Medieval Parish, dissolved and destroyed along with the original Chapel by Henry VIII. People farming the Medieval fields after 1540 (after the dissolution) either, then went to the main town Church 3 miles away, or the churches of two adjoining Parishes, or through one neighbouring Northern Parish, to a third Parish the other side of the neighbouring Parish.

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William Hood born Cunnagal? Yorkshire c1780 (1851 Census of Collierley & Pontop)
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 September 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
Been looking at the birthplaces of every (surviving) Hood in 1851 Census, born Yorkshire in 1782 +/- 5 years.

Any idea where Cunnagal [sic] (or Cunnayal) Yorkshire is, please?

Census Place Collierley & Pontop
Colliery Dykes [Collierley Dykes]
William Hood, Marr. 71 yrs. Groom, Born Yorkshire Cunnagal
Catherine Hood, Marr. 55 yrs.           Born Newcastle All Saints.

As well as the location of Cunnagal, I am interested in the place of their marriage too, please?

Thanks, Mark

EDIT: wondering if 'Cunnagal' was the old local pronunciation for Cundall?
In Warwickshire Ebrington was still pronounced Yubberton by some locals.

But are there any Hood birth/baptisms in the Cundall Register circa 1780, please?

Been looking for Carnagill.

Plaintiffs: John Dale. Defendants: Sir William Huddleston kt and others.
Subject: lands called Gilfield, Carnagill etc, Yorkshire. Date 1651

I don't know Yorkshire too well, down here in the Midlands.

But in the Newspapers it seems there were two places called Carnagill, at least?

1. - Carnagill, Richmond area, Yorkshire Gazette of 24 September 1892 ... Mrs H. Stevenson, of Scotton Hall, (and also of Hedgerley Park, Bucks), was involved in a collection bash for Hipswell Church, Mr Wm. Brittain, Grocer, Richmond, ... Lancelot Pearson gave his residence as "(Carnagill)", also James Barker (Hipswell Hall) and they with others brought the Marquee from Richmond. Sir James and Lady Stirling, of Scotton Hall, gave ...

York Herald, 17 October 1895 - The Scotton Hall (Richmond) Beagles. - Miss Maud Stevenson's Beagles met in the Scotton Hall Park yesterday ... After crossing the brook she ran up by Carnagill, and eventually evaded her pursuers in the pastures behind Hipswell Lodge. ...

2. - West Carnagill
Teesdale Mercury, Durham, 12 July 1865 ...
At West Carnagill, Hunderthwaite, on the 1st inst., the wife of Mr Peter Walker, of a daughter.

Sheffield Independent 20 March 1847, Addison v. Bainbridge. ... Mary Addison was the plaintiff, a widow residing at West Carnagill, in Baldersdale. ... The parties have a right of pasturage on Cotherstone and [H?]Underthwaite Moors, where their sheep are kept, ...

On the web it seems Baldersdale is described:-
i) Baldersdale is located in County Durham.
ii) Baldersdale is a tributory valley of Teesdale in the Northern Dales.
iii) Baldersdale - The Yorkshire Dales.

Hunderthwaite is a village and a civil Parish in Teesdale, in the Pennines of England.
Baldersdale (County Durham), not far North of the Stainmore Gap ... neighbouring Parishes of Romaldkirk and Cotherstone.

Hunderthwaite is a village ... in Romald-kirk Parish, North Riding, Yorkshire. The village stands on the River Tees, 5 1/2 miles N.W. of Barnard Castle.
[dobfarm, Remember the London Will of William Hood of Barnard Castle with ref to George Hood and a mine].

Seems there were two Carnagill, one a West Carnagill in Baldersdale which must be straddling the area of the North Riding of Yorks and County Durham?

Perhaps, this William Hood, aged 71 in the 1851 Census, is from one of the several Parishes around West Caranagill or a Parish in Baldersdale? Could William Hood be George Hood's sibling / family, please?

Regards Mark