Author Topic: Coastguard Records-Kerry- Alfred Newby  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coastguard Records-Kerry- Alfred Newby
« on: Wednesday 28 October 15 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Alfred Newby born 18 Dec 1884 in Blackpool, Lancashire, England, married my Great Grand Aunt Mary Elizabeth Graham on June 14, 1914. On the marriage certificate it stated he lived at the Coastguard station in Dingle and Mary was from Dingle as well. They had a child James Newby born in Dingle in 1920. Alfred served with the UK Royal Navy but his last service date is 8 Dec 1921. On his record it stated he had heart disease. His service # was 308779. I am trying to find out when he passed away and where he is laid to rest, as his wife Mary, passed away in 1927 and was buried with her parents and not Alfred. On her death certificate it states wide of naval seaman. Their son James died in 1940 on board the HMS Glorius, but I would really love to find out more about Alfred and especially when he died and where. It would have been from 1921-1926, as well confirm that he did in fact serve with the coastguards in Dingle. Any help or suggestions on where to look will very much be appreciated. Susan :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coastguard Records-Kerry- Alfred Newby
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm not seeing anything on British Coastguards 1841 - 1901?

This is available on GenUKI:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards

Neither can I see a record on Coastguards of Yesteryear, which is a database of Irish Coastguards.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if Alfred died outside Ireland?

The only 'Alfred Newby' in the civil registration index (goes up to 1958) is the 19201914 marriage.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYDT-L2N

Mary Newby's death is also not listed. So, could she also have died outside Ireland and either the body brought back here or merely her details put on the family headstone?

Off to see if I can track them down...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to add that the residence listed on the marriage certificate will be his address at the time of the marriage which may not be where he normally lived. Have you checked the 2 witnesses to see if one of them was in the Coastguard?

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 15 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Mary Elizabeth Graham was born in Dingle along with all her brothers and sisters but the family moved up north sometime after 1911 because she died living in Belfast as did her parents and the 3 of them of buried together outside Belfast. This I know for a fact. I should have mentioned that Alfred Newby I found a birth entry for him of 18 December 1884 in Blackpool, Lancashire, England,in the Royal Navy Registers,however, on their marriage certificate he gave his address as Dingle Coastguard station. I'm curious what he would have been doing there around 1914 when they married in Dingle. Alfred must have died between 1921 when his last service date was 8 December 1921 and up until 1927, but I would have thought he would have been with his wife, but just can't seem to locate where and when he died. If his records indicated heart condition or disease I won't think he would still be with the navy, therefore it seems strange he isn't with his wife. I was thinking he might have passed away while they still lived in Dingle but I'm just assuming. Thanks anyway for the help.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 October 15 07:44 GMT (UK) »
I've looked at his service record and he actually died while still serving on 8 Dec 1821 - 'DD' Discharged Dead. At the time he appears to have been a Coastguard working at Birling Gap. Having looked at the BDM index there is an Alfred Newby who's death is recorded in Eastbourne for Dec 1921 (Vol 2b Page 116), so I suspect he is buried locally.

I have not looked, but there is a good chance he has a CG service record in the ADM 175 series of records.

Martin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 October 15 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Martin  :)  I saw the 1921 death last night and wondered if it could be him but OP put "On her death certificate it states wide of naval seaman." which I took to mean wife rather than widow.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 October 15 08:49 GMT (UK) »
For reference-

Mary Elizth Newby buried Dundonald Cemetery, Belfast:
https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=8179.5010
James Graham & Rosalie Josephine Graham in same plot.

Graham James of 16 Oakley Street Ballysillan Belfast police pensioner died 23 February 1930 Administration Belfast 13 June to Rosalie Josephine Graham the widow. Effects £323 18s. 1d.
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 October 15 17:37 GMT (UK) »
My most heartfelt thank you for the information you have provided me. To re-cap Alfred Newby died one year after his son James was born in Dingle.  His wife Mary and her son then must have moved up north after Alfred's passing to join the rest of her family at some time, therefore when she passed away in 1927, the family laid her to rest in Belfast, instead of returning her to Dingle. Huge mystery solved!!!! Now can you advise if I would be able to find out the contents of Alfred's Coastguard service record and if so where do I find this ADM 175 series?? My next question if he was buried locally, is Eastbourne near Dingle? The family were Church of Ireland and I was wondering what cemetery he could be buried in? Thanks again for any help or suggestions. :) Susan