Author Topic: Re James Read Gillingham Dorset B 1800  (Read 955 times)

Offline the ferret

• RootsChat Member
  • On this site, in 1897......nothing happened!!
    • View Profile
Re James Read Gillingham Dorset B 1800
« on: Thursday 29 October 15 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Friends, I have a serious brick wall, regarding James Read born 1800 at Gillingham Dorset, his father I believe is John Read, possible Mother Mary Goffe, John Read was married to Elizabeth Stone from what I can gather  but she died about 1793, James was only 15 when he married Ruth Hopkins in 1815, they had 5 children, one James also, died England 1827.
James and Ruth and Children Migrated to the Swan River Colony aboard "Rockingham" leaving St Katherine Dock Jan 7 1830, arrived May 14 1830, he died in South Australia Ruth Died Fremantle.
 My 4th G Grandparents George and Elizabeth Read were on the same ship, my problem is, was James George's  Half brother or a Cousin, or not even related, there were lots of Reads in Gillingham at the time.
Any new lnfo would be appreciated.
Cheers, Rod.
READ family, Gillingham Dorset 1830s, Coward family Dorset, DOBBINS Hamilton Scotland, Mcleods around Bridgeton Scotland .
BARNARD ENG, Smart, ENG,  STONE, ENG. WOODFORD ENG.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re James Read Gillingham Dorset B 1800
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 15 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Is your George Read the one bapt in Gillingham on 30 Dec 1787 s/o John and Elizabeth?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline the ferret

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 15 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Is your George Read the one bapt in Gillingham on 30 Dec 1787 s/o John and Elizabeth?

Hi Lizzie, Yes that is him, Married Elizabeth Coward 1809 in Gillingham,  George's mother is Transcribed wrongly as SHAW, but it's STONE on her marriage to John Read.
Cheers, Rod Read.
READ family, Gillingham Dorset 1830s, Coward family Dorset, DOBBINS Hamilton Scotland, Mcleods around Bridgeton Scotland .

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 15 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Dorset OPC baptism transcriptions for Gillingham I can't find James born 1800.
On the marriage transcription for John Read to Mary Goffe, it doesn't say he was widowed, neither does banns transcript. John and Mary were both of Bourton. Witness was Andrew Read, other witness noted as illegible.
I can't find the 1793 death for Elizabeth Read nee Stone you mentioned either.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline the ferret

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Dorset OPC baptism transcriptions for Gillingham I can't find James born 1800.
On the marriage transcription for John Read to Mary Goffe, it doesn't say he was widowed, neither does banns transcript. John and Mary were both of Bourton. Witness was Andrew Read, other witness noted as illegible.
I can't find the 1793 death for Elizabeth Read nee Stone you mentioned either.

Hi Lizzie, I did find a burial for an Elizabeth Read in Silton, 1794 aged 27years just down the road from Bourton, the records of the church don't go back that far, a kind lady searched the graveyard and found nothing.
The only John Read I found was living at Bourton, a farmer, he was much older than Mary Goffe. I haven't found a death for John Read, he was 76 in the 1851 Census.
 George Read and previous  ten generations all worked for Squire Weld, at Lulworth Castle Estate until 1829 when they left for Australia in 1830, If James was George's Brother, they would be 13 years apart, I don't think he was George's Son as George wasn't married until 1809. it is confusing isn't it, and thank you so much for looking into it for me, let me know if I can help further.
Kind regards Rod.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Found the Silton transcripts now
Elizabeth wife of John READ Bourton buried 10 November 1794.

As you said there are quite a lot of John Reads in Gillingham and surrounding area.