Author Topic: Annie LANE  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie LANE
« on: Thursday 29 October 15 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find the death of Annie Lane, born Jun 1872 in Wandsworth to John and Mary Lane. In 1893, she married Frederick Charles CHAMBERS at St Paul's in Clapham, Following his death, she married Joseph BARNARD in Sep 1916 at Wandsworth RO.

According to the electoral registers, Joseph and Annie BARNARD were living at 74 Linford Road, Wandsworth until his death in 1924. Annie continued to live at 74 Winford Road until the start of WW2, being listed at this address in the 1938 ER. With no electoral registers taken during the war years, I then lose track of her.

There is a possible death in 1958 in Wandsworth, suggesting a birth year of 1870. But looking at probate records, I think this probably relates to a spinster who died in Totting Bec Hospital.

None of the other possible deaths that I can find look likely to my eyes: Q1 1938 Fulham, Q1 1946 Lambeth, Q4 1958 Chelsea and Q2 1960 Windsor. Not least because they all refer to a Annie E BARNARD and I have never seen her referred to with a middle initial.

Any help or suggestions welcomed.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie LANE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Would she perhaps be buried with her husband - is there a gravestone for him that might name her?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 15 15:25 GMT (UK) »
There's an Annie Barnard death in 1941 at a Sanatorium in Essex - widow, probate to Florence Emily Barnard spinster but don't know how old this Annie was  :-\

If her husband had a spinster sister with those names that would be good  :D
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 15 16:15 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know, he did not have a sister named Florence Emily. My knowledge, however, is far from complete.

With regard to burial, he seems to have been buried in the same cemetery in Morden as his first wife Jane Emma BARNARD.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 November 15 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm still having problems trying to find a death for Annie LANE/CHAMBERS/BARNARD.

I know from electoral records that in 1938, she was still living at the family home at 75 Linford Street, Battersea. However, she does not appear to be there in 1939, at least not on the 1939 Register.

In answer to earlier contributions, Annie's first husband (Frederick Charles CHAMBERS) was buried in Mar 1915 in Morden, as was her second husband (Joseph BARNARD) in 1924. Her second husband's first wife was also buried in Sep 1914 in Morden. However, I still can't find a burial for her in that or any other cemetery.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 November 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
The street index has number 75 Linford Street as missing in 1939

Ahhh it is no 74 according to electoral register  ;D  That is there
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 November 15 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out the possibility of a third marriage?  She was last known as Annie Barnard in 1938 at age 66.  Not too late.

Jann

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 February 16 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Just to update this topic in the hope of finding a suitable death, I now know thanks to the 1939 register that in 1939 Annie BARNARD, aged 67, was living with her married daughter Winifred VICKERY (née Chambers) at 34 Grosvenor Avenue, Hayes.

She was not on the 1939 electoral register for that address, but was on the 1938 electoral register at 74 Linford Street, where she was living with her son William John CHAMBERS and married daughter Mabel COLE (née Chambers). I assume that her absence from the electoral register indicates that she moved in after the electoral register was compiled or perhaps she was just visiting.

In any case, she was not on the 1946 electoral register for 34 Grosvenor Avenue, Hayes. So she had either moved on or died. What I would really like to know is what happened to Annie after 1939 and in particular when and where she died.

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 February 16 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you you seen the PR for her christening? Or her birth or marriage certificates?  I'm wondering if Annie was her actual name or if it was a nickname.  Perhaps a combination of Ann and
a middle initial E?

Jann