Author Topic: Is there a Romany/Gypsy connection? Abit confused  (Read 5528 times)

Offline benn34

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Romany/Gypsy connection? Abit confused
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 January 16 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Met my cousin and he knew nothing about any R/G connection.He had always been told that the family had come to Liverpool from France by way of Kent and Shropshire.
William married a girl from Jersey so maybe he did travel to France.
It's no help only having his wife's first name,Jane, and no year or place of their marriage only 'circa 1840'.
Dave.

Hi Dave,

Really sorry you didn't get the information you were looking for, I'm in the same boat I'm afraid. I think all we can do is not give up.

Ann

Offline benn34

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 January 16 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone help me please?

I randomly put the name of my 3rd great grandfather William Lamb and year of birth into the google search engine and he came up in an 1881 Hawker census under a Gypsy and Romany Connections site along with one of his sons. I know there is quite a few people in my family tree that were either Hawkers or Basket Makers but this is the first time of a mention concerning Gypsies/Romany.

Does this mean that there is definately a connection?

Ann

Hi again guys and Happy New Year,

I have still been searching for a connection with my 3rd great grandad William Lamb being of romany/gypsy connection and I have found that on both his marriage certificates in 1838 and 1850 he states that he lived at Locks Fields, Walworth and I found an article earlier today saying that Locks Fields in Walworth was a popular place for gypsy in the 19th century. Does anyone know much about Locks Fields around that time and if it can possibly mean that William was a gypsy?. I know that Lamb was a common travellers surname as well as Bleach and Bowers that I have in my family tree (Williams mums surname was Bowers) however I cant really find anything else.

I have also included a link to the article where it mentions Locks Fields, Walworth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ann

http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/ccc/static/Gypsy-traveller.jsp

Offline Davee g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 November 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Met my cousin and he knew nothing about any R/G connection.He had always been told that the family had come to Liverpool from France by way of Kent and Shropshire.
William married a girl from Jersey so maybe he did travel to France.
It's no help only having his wife's first name,Jane, and no year or place of their marriage only 'circa 1840'.
Dave.

Hello
My gr gr gr grandfather was william ballard.sounds like the one u mentioned. He was born in ireland and married ann dawson fro jersey. Their son was william f ballard. His son was john richard ballard mm who died on somme. He had moved family to wrexham .his daughter was eleanor ballard who was my grandmother. Ballard is an english surname and it could be that william was of english settler blood dating back to cromwell. I know that by 1802 a quarter of the people of ireland had english or scottish roots

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 November 16 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)