Author Topic: Argyll families McArthur and McIntyre  (Read 1830 times)

Offline nikjones60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Argyll families McArthur and McIntyre
« on: Friday 30 October 15 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello i have been researching my Scottish and have come across some blocks in my research on ancestry.co.UK in the 1700s and i am wondering if anybody has any information that would be useful about The families MacArthur  and McIntyre my ancestor was called Catherine MacArthur and was born in 1809 to Angus MacArthur And Janet McArthur Angus was born in 1757 to Finlay MacArthur and Elizabeth McIntyre don't know when they was born .I know Catherine was born in Grenock and Angus was born in inveray and glenaray argyll .Angus and Janet also got married in Grenock Renfrew If anyone has any more information about them that would really be helpful thanks.Nicholas

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll families McArthur and McIntyre
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 15 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicholas,

Are you attempting to find ancestors, descendants or both? Have you tried www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk yet? Also, the free site by the Latter Day Saints Church, www.familysearch.org is getting much more useful every day with the addition of many new records.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll families McArthur and McIntyre
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 15 04:10 GMT (UK) »
my ancestor was called Catherine MacArthur and was born in 1809 to Angus MacArthur And Janet McArthur Angus was born in 1757 to Finlay MacArthur and Elizabeth McIntyre

Hi nik,

Just to confirm....was Catherine's m/s MacArthur as well as being her married name?

Also, when searching have you allowed for Mc/Mac (Soundex)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"