Author Topic: Gray and Robinson Toronto  (Read 722 times)

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gray and Robinson Toronto
« on: Friday 30 October 15 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday I discovered another branch of my family went to Canada, presumably to join her elder brother Thomas Albert Bladon

Ellen Phillips nee Bladon (widow) left the UK in 1912 with her daughter Ivy Violet born 1897 Birmingham.  Ivy married John Edward GRAY in 1918 at Toronto (found on family search).  hey had a son in 1920 Toronto then went back to Sussex England, had another son in 1925 and returned to Toronto in 1932 - permanently I think.

Ellen Phillips married a James Robinson before the 1921 census as they are living next door to the Grays although Ivy is missing.  On the 1932 ships passenger list Ellen Robinson is named as Ivy's mother although I can't find a marriage for Ellen and James

This is a long shot but I have spent a while looking for deaths for James and Ellen Robinson (after 1932) and John Edward and Ivy Violet Gray. 

Any information on the above people appreciated, although I realise the sons of Ivy and John may still be alive.

Helena
UK

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gray and Robinson Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 15 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Found a wedding notice in the Toronto Star in April 1948 for the marriage of a John Edward Gray, son of Mr. & Mrs. J.E. Gray, to an Elda Moncton. Names John Jr.'s brother, James, as one of the groomsman.

Found obit for John Edward Sr. in the Globe & Mail in 1959.  Husband of the late Ivy Phillips. Served in the Queen's Own Rifles. Aged 68.  Names the two sons above as surviving him. Buried at Pine Hills Cemetery in Toronto.

Obit for Ivy in Globe & Mail earlier in the year 1959. Died in Lindsay Hospital. They were living in Norland, Ontario, at the time.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 15 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Helena,

Have you done a search on the OCFA (Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid) site for your ancestors. I believe most of the Toronto area cemeteries have been transcribed on it. Here is the link: http://ocfa.islandnet.com//.  This is the only one I saw there from a quick look:
GRAY, John Edward   Maple Cemetery   York   Vaughan   YK-

The marriage record for Ivy and John is on Ancestry, but Ivy is mis-transcribed as Ing Violet Phillips. There is an image on Ancs as well :-). Their marriage date is Marriage Date:    22 Jun 1918.

Hope thi helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 15 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helena and Eileen,

Great finds Eileen. Lindsay is in cottage/tourist country so Ivy and John may have had a cottage on one of the many lakes in the area. Lindsay is not a far drive from Toronto. Perhaps the Lindsay or Peterborough (not far from Lindsay) public libraries hold info for you too Helena? I would contact them for directory info on the pair.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 15 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen and JDC

Thank you very much for the information, the marriage is correct as the sons names are correct (I didn't want to name them in my original post as they may still be alive)

I have world wide ancestry membership and have tried to find them on the Canadian Voter lists but no joy yet

I shall do some more 'digging' and try and find James and Ellens deaths