Author Topic: Missing George Mitchell - Rosehearty, Fraserburgh 1882  (Read 6110 times)

Offline 1elizabeth1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing George Mitchell - Rosehearty, Fraserburgh 1882
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 November 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Thank you for the trying to keep my emotions in check, it is difficult when children are involved and I know there were thousands then and still thousands now that need help here in the Uk.
Kindest regards

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 November 15 22:14 GMT (UK) »
The cousin who came with John Mitchell junior when he brought his siblings to Quarriers - possibly William Mitchell, the youngest son of William Mitchell (John Mitchell senior's brother) and Jane/Jean Watson - and brother to Margaret Mitchell, the wife of John Mitchell junior.

He was also a tailor - he married Agnes Dick from Dalmellington, Ayrshire in 1889 in Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire - the family are living there in the 1891 census. By 1901, they are in Govan.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline 1elizabeth1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 November 15 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

I think you have done such a brilliant job, you have given me answers that I thought that I would never find, I think the details on William in Edinburgh and the cousin attending Quarriers in spot on, every detail matches.
Thank you for your kindness.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 November 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I do love a good mystery  :D

Still nothing concrete on the elusive George Mitchell - the closest match I can find is a George Mitchell, farm servant, aged 18, in 1901 at Annieswells, Old Deer. He's the right age and right birth place, but George Mitchell is a pretty common name - speaking as someone who has a lot of Mitchells in their tree  ;D

He's with the family of George Jamieson, farmer, from Gamrie, Banffshire. Can't obviously see any relationship between the Mitchells and Jamiesons, although George Mitchell's uncle, William Mitchell was living in Gamrie for a time - but that might just be wishful thinking  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline 1elizabeth1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 November 15 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your ongoing investigations, it will be wonderful if you have found our missing George.
Many thanks yet again for all your hard work.
Best wishes

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
The John Mitchell was my 2x great grandfather. He was marrieds three times 1st to Eliz. Fyvie 1848.
Mgt. Watt 1853 and Jessie McWilliam . I did not know abt. the Quarriers but would love to share info if you are happy to do so. Mitchel is a recurring middle name in my family. John had a will, the total amount of his inventory after his death was I believe £29: 14:9p.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 January 16 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Quarriers have also stated that the inspectors of poor, Pitsligo wrote about the case as well as the reverend McGregor and Mr Stephen Fraserew ( the surname is a guess as I am finding it difficult to read). Will there be poor records available for this time?

There could be. If there are, they will be in the archives in Aberdeen http://archives.aberdeencity.gov.uk/DServe.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Index.tcl
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 January 16 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
     Thought the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society (ANESFHS) website might interest you.
     Link for Memorial Inscription Index:
               www.anesfhs.org.uk/databank/miindex/miindex.php
     Enter John's name and year he died.
     Stone 55 in Kirkyard of Aberdour looks like his. No date given for John, but the names and dates for his 3 wives burials are there, along with a William Mitchell buried 1866. Son from his 1st marriage to Elizabeth Fyvie perhaps?

Link to ANESFHS main page:
               https://anesfhs.org.uk/

Good luck with your search for George.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 January 16 23:32 GMT (UK) »
William "his beloved son" died at Rosehearty, on 29th March 1866, aged 19. Elisabeth (nee Fyvie) died at New Aberdour 10th March 1848 aged 23, his second wife Margaret (nee Watt) died at Rosehearty 2nd August 1871, aged 59. Jessie also died at Rosehearty, 22nd April 1889 but she is interred in Pitsligo Churchyard.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.